A fitting farewell for the Hoosier seniors

Perhaps it was a cruel joke: On Saturday, the football gods forced IU to play No. 2 Michigan in the Hoosiers' final home game of the season. In the last decade, the Wolverines have played with the Hoosiers like a cat playing with a mouse. Before Saturday's game, Michigan had posted wins against IU in their previous 13 meetings. And perhaps it was only fitting that in the Hoosiers' final game at Memorial Stadium this season, it was Michigan that kept the Hoosiers from breaking their 13-year bowl game drought. \nThe Hoosiers were able to move up and down the field frequently, but as soon as they looked poised to score, the Wolverine with whiskers put its paw down and pounced, delaying the possibility of an IU bowl berth for another game. \nPerhaps it was only fitting that Saturday's gloomy weather spelled doom once more -- a 14th straight loss at the claws of the Wolverines. It was a fitting farewell for this senior class of football players. Season after season they have left every part of themselves on the football field. Season after season they have left it without an ounce of energy remaining and without a winning record. Bloomington has embraced these winless warriors as a city greets its defeated as they return from battle. Though home victories against Michigan State and nationally ranked Iowa have created happy hoopla, a bowl berth and victory -- winning the war -- has eluded these elder soldiers. The campaign began under IU coach Terry Hoeppner's mantra of "dispatch," a word with multiple definitions. It could mean the act of putting to death, or it could mean to send away with speed. So it was only fitting that the Wolverines dispatched of the Hoosiers -- with dispatch. \nOf course, the shame of the Wolverine whooping wasn't confined to our own backyard. The football gods continued their cruel joke as ABC and ESPN showed nationwide coverage of both Michigan and Ohio State games Saturday. The Hoosiers and the Northwestern Wildcats were both laughed at. Perhaps it was as an extension of ABC's hit show "Lost" -- a striking reflection of each team's mindset Saturday. (Then again, think of the alternatives -- "Desperate Football Programs," "Blowout's Anatomy," "Show Me the Funny" and "Ugly Setting.") Oddly, Michigan and Ohio State were playing a game against each other as well. It was titled "Who can outscore their opponent by more points?" The Buckeyes won, fittingly, by 13. \nFittingly for a game of cat and mouse, IU was mauled by Michigan. Now, one game on the season schedule remains, and with it hangs in the balance the number 13 -- only fitting for a football program that has endured bad years on top of worse luck. But more important is a question that will soon be answered at the conclusion of this final crusade in quarry land: Will the Hoosiers be bowl barren for a 13th year, or will they win next week and play a 13th game? \nFor more than a decade, the Hoosiers have cut their seasons short. One game remains before this team decides which 13th it will play for. A 13th straight year? Now that would be a fitting farewell for the Hoosiers.