Saturday, June 15

1,056 to 'stand for those who can't'

IU Dance Marathon to have record participation

If some people on campus look more tired than usual Monday morning, give them a break. Thirty-six hours of dancing can do that to you. \nA record 1,056 students -- up from about 600 last year -- have registered to dance for the 16th annual IU Dance Marathon, the most lucrative fund-raising event on campus, said Meredith Main, IUDM public relations director. Participants will stay on their feet from 8 p.m. Friday until 8 a.m. Sunday to raise money for the Riley Hospital for Children.\n"We're helping people realize we're standing because we can, while children at Riley may not be able to do what we can do," Main said. "Our motto this year is, 'We dance because we can, we stand for those who can't.'"\nOf those 1,056 students, 379 are freshmen, up significantly from past years, Main said. She attributes these increased numbers to IUDM's campaign to involve organizations outside of the greek community, including residence halls. \n"It is great that we have so many freshmen because they'll be able to stay involved over the next four years," Main said. \nIUDM culminates a year of fund-raising through greek events, canning and a letter-writing campaign, Main said. And the $25-per-person registration fee, plus a minimum $350 each dancer is require to raise for the cause, means the event itself will draw a hefty sum. \nLast year, the event raised $677,415.19, and IUDM hopes to beat that total this year. Still, it is not just about the money, IUDM President Josh Wendahl said. \n"The bottom line is that we are helping children," Wendahl said. "Whether we raise $500 or $5 million, that money is going to help somebody to some extent. Our goal is to raise as much money as possible and help the most people." \nThis year the event will open Friday morning with a "torch ceremony" commemorating IU student Ashley Crouse, the 2005 IUDM vice president, who was killed in a car accident in April 2005. Led by Crouse's older brother Charlie Crouse, 50 bikers will ride from Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis to the Wildermuth Gymnasium in Bloomington, a 60-mile journey that is expected to take about four hours, IUDM President Josh Wendahl said. \nThe torch will be placed at the marathon to serve as a constant reminder of Ashley Crouse's legacy and dedication to IUDM and the children at Riley, according to an IUDM press release.\nThe torch race is expected to be completed by about 1 p.m., and the opening ceremonies will follow soon after. And at 8 p.m. sharp, participants will begin dancing and will not let up until one day and two nights later. Riley patients and their families will speak throughout the event, and dancers will play with Riley children throughout the day, Main said. \n"I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's easy," Wendahl said. "But once you see all the Riley families and all the kids who are just lucky to be alive, it makes it a lot easier." \nOther speakers will include IU President Adam Herbert, IU Dean of Students Richard McKaig and IU Chancellor Ken Gros Louis, according to the press release. \nIUDM began in 1991 when then-IU student Jill Stewart wanted to create a fund-raiser to honor close friend and Riley patient Ryan White, who died from complications from AIDS right before he was supposed to start at IU, according to the press release. Now, 16 years later, the event has raised more than $4 million for the hospital, said Katie Mayes, a communications specialist for Riley Children's Foundation. \nThose funds have allowed Riley Hospital for Children to open and maintain the Ryan White Infectious Disease Center, Indiana's only HIV/AIDS pediatric resource, Mayes said. \n"Without Dance Marathon, we could not have opened (the Center)," Mayes said.