Saturday, June 15

Update: Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority raises record-breaking sum for BMOC

Theta Chi junior named "Big Man on Campus"

Zeta Tau Alpha's annual philanthropy event had two big winners Friday night. While this year's Big Man on Campus, junior Ray Vanlanot, went home with a crown, the ZTA Foundation, benefiting breast cancer research, perhaps was the true winner.\nAll profits from the record-breaking $109,200 raised from the event will go to support the foundation. \n"No matter the outcome, it is the money that counts," Vanlanot, a member of the Theta Chi Fraternity, said. \nThe $109,200 surpassed the sorority's goal of $100,000, and last year's total by about $13,000. Setting another record, about 2,600 people packed into the IU Auditorium, to watch the event, said Hallie Jaeger, ZTA's philanthropy chair. \nThe event featured performances by 20 men representing 19 different fraternities and one student group. \nVanlanot, portraying Frank Sinatra, performed the singer's famous hit "Luck be a Lady." The performance earned him "Best Talent" honors, while the $6,738 he raised through his Theta Chi and partner sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, also netted him the award for most funds raised. \nThe event also featured a performance by Sylvia McNair, a two-time Grammy winner who is currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Before performing her second song, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," McNair took off her wig and tossed it onto her accompanist's grand piano. \n"It was the most phenomenal moment of the show," Jaeger said. "We've gotten to know her so well, both (of) our hearts just melted. It was such a moment of strength for her and all survivors out there. It was really inspirational to see all the hope she brings"