New general education requirements might ease degree changes

IU officials say changes help when switching majors

With so many students changing their major during their college careers, some are finding they must remain in college an extra year to fulfill additional degree requirements. In an effort to make transferring between schools on campus and from other universities a little easier, the Bloomington Faculty Council has passed a new set of general education requirements. \nThe new requirements, which will apply to next year's freshman class, will require that students take a set minimum of courses in subjects such as math, English and foreign language or world cultures. The University hopes the new standards will provide students with a common, solid background of skills, whatever their major. The different schools on campus will also implement a shared goals plan to help students gain familiarity in subjects outside their major, such as information fluency and intensive writing.\nOne of the main reasons for the changes are for transferability issues. Under the current system, students who switch their major might not have the courses they have already completed be compatible with the requirements of their new major, said David Nordloh, associate dean of faculties.\nThe general education program will make it easier for students to pursue a double major, said Garret Scharton, IU Student Association chief of external affairs. Scharton began his college career wanting to earn a degree from the music school but later on decided he wanted to add a degree in political science, which is based in the College of Arts and Sciences. He said as a result of having to fulfill both of the department's requirements he had to stay an extra year at IU.\nAside from being the associate dean of faculties, Nordloh also works on developing relationships between IU and other colleges. He said this transferability also applies to students transferring to or from IU. \nIt would be easier for students at colleges and community colleges like Ivy Tech Community College to transfer to IU because the classes given in both schools would be the same and they will not have to take different classes. This works the same for students transferring to and from IU, Nordloh said.\nThe General Education Program will force IU schools to adjust their degrees, Nordloh said. Every school felt this proposal was needed, even ones concerned with some difficulties, he said.\nFor example, current education majors do not have to take a foreign language, said Tim Niggle, director of student and information management services at the School of Education. With the new program, the education school will have to find a way to incorporate foreign language or world culture requirements in their degree.