Late second half goals lead Hoosiers to comeback win

Yeagle nets go-ahead goal to avoid upset loss

NDIANAPOLIS -- Trailing by one goal with five minutes remaining, the IU men's soccer team scored three goals before the end of regulation to defeat in-state rival Butler 4-2.\nAfter struggling to convert offensive opportunities into goals for the first 85 minutes, goals from senior midfielder Josh Tudela, freshman forward Darren Yeagle and freshman midfielder Eric Alexander stunned the Bulldog fans celebrating senior day for Butler.\nAlthough the No. 20 Hoosiers did not play their best soccer, IU coach Mike Freitag said he was proud with his team's determination in coming back against the Bulldogs.\n"Sometimes we win, and we don't play well," Freitag said. "That was the case today. I didn't think we played extremely well. We just weren't sharp for whatever reason."\nThe cream and crimson created several chances to score in the first half. The best chance came when Yeagle drove down the left side of the field, dribbling past three Butler defenders. Yeagle crossed the ball to senior forward Kevin Robson, who shot the ball just wide of goal from six yards out.\nThe Hoosiers out-shot the Bulldogs 5-3 in the first half but were unable to score goals, something the team has struggled with this year, said sophomore forward Brian Ackley.\n"It's been like that all year," Ackley said. "We have been trying to find the back of the net, but we couldn't."\nButler scored first on a Hoosier mistake. Yeagle tried to pass the ball back to sophomore goalkeeper Chay Cain, but a Butler player hit the ball at the same time as Cain, leaving the ball in the open field. Bulldogs forward John DeVae chipped the ball over Cain and the Hoosier defense from 30 yards into an open net for the goal.\n"We gave it away," Freitag said. "So we are trying to catch the game, which is difficult, especially against a team that packs it in like they did."\nDue to a collision between junior defender Greg Stevning and Butler forward Dorshon Deans near the end of the first half, halftime was taken with 2:32 left on the clock. Stevning was on the ground for a couple of minutes before walking off the field. Deans laid on the field for several minutes before an ambulance came but raised his arms to acknowledge the crowd.\nStevning did not play the rest of the game. He is OK but will be examined by doctors, Freitag said.\nThe Hoosiers came out in the second half pushing forward to score a goal. Finally, 15 minutes into the second half, sophomore Kevin Noschang scored the first Hoosier goal from 12 yards out after a pass from Ackley.\nButler responded two minutes later on a perfect shot from Butler midfielder Tom Turner to take a 2-1 lead.\nFive minutes from the end of regulation time, Tudela scored on a pass from Ackley to tie the game and give the Hoosiers the advantage. Tudela said the team was urgent to score a goal.\n"It was coming down to the final six minutes," Tudela said. "We knew we had to get one, and I was a bit lucky the defender fumbled it, and I got a foot on it."\nGoals from Yeagle and Alexander sealed the game for the Hoosiers, putting the finishing touches on the IU comeback.\nWhile the team played flat for most of the game, Freitag said he was pleased with the team's effort to comeback in the final minutes.\n"We finally started to do things to make that happen," Freitag said. "We are real lucky today because we could have easily walked out of here with a 2-1 loss. To the guys' credit, they found a way to get it done, and that's why I'm happy"