IU's leading scorer absent from win

Freshman Yeagle out 2 to 6 weeks with mono

The IU men's soccer team will be without its leading scorer for the next several games.\nDoctors diagnosed freshman forward Darren Yeagle with mononucleosis Monday. IU head trainer Joe Lueken said the Louisville, Ky., native is expected to miss two to six weeks because of the illness.\nYeagle said he did not feel weak, but he complained of having a sore throat. Blood tests run by the IU medical staff showed Lueken that Yeagle had mono.\nLueken said he did not know when Yeagle contracted the illness but hopes they discovered Yeagle's mono in the late stages. Trainers will perform an ultrasound Oct. 16 to determine how much longer Yeagle will miss.\n"I was pretty upset," Yeagle said. "Of course I wanted to play against my hometown, Louisville, but I am pretty upset I have to sit out two (weeks) to whenever I get to come back."\nLueken said Yeagle will be barred from any physical activity while the illness persists for fear it will rupture the player's spleen.\nYeagle has stepped up this year to help fill the void left by departing scorers from last season's squad. He leads the Hoosiers with five goals and 11 points in 11 games this season.\nWhile it is disappointing to lose the team's leading scorer, IU coach Mike Freitag said the Hoosiers will rely on other players to step up and fill the role Yeagle has played this season.\n"Whenever you lose your leading goal scorer, it's never a good thing," Freitag said. "Darren is such an explosive player, and he can do so many things for us. Not having him hurts a little bit, but we have other people to step up."\nYeagle's absence will be felt in ways other than goals. Yeagle has drawn the foul on all three penalty kicks the Hoosiers have had.\n"Darren's definitely a big loss," senior midfielder Josh Tudela said. "But we have a lot of other talented guys who are going to step up and fill that role good."\nNot only has Yeagle scored the most goals for the Hoosiers, but he has also scored goals in important situations. Last Sunday, the freshman scored a goal in overtime to give the Hoosiers their first win of the Big Ten season against Michigan State. It was the second game-winner for Yeagle on the season.\nThe Hoosier offense didn't seem to miss Yeagle during last night's victory against the University of Louisville. The Hoosiers out-shot the Cardinals 20-14 en route to scoring two goals on the evening. Senior midfielder Josh Tudela and freshman forward Eric Alexander both scored their first goals of the season in the victory.\nYeagle said he expects the team to keep scoring and winning while he is out with the illness.\n"I expect people to step up," Yeagle said. "They are looking pretty good right now, so I don't expect anything less than what they are doing now. So I expect a lot of wins"