Saturday, June 15

BMOC raises record funds for breast cancer

ZTA's annual event nets more than $100,000

Zeta Tau Alpha's annual philanthropy event had two big winners Friday night. While this year's Big Man on Campus, junior Ray Vanlanot, went home with the crown, the ZTA Foundation, benefiting breast cancer research, was perhaps the true winner. \nAll profits from the record-breaking $109,200 raised by this year's event, called "Viva Las Vegas: Beating the odds against breast cancer," will go to support the foundation. \n"No matter the outcome, it is the money that counts," Vanlanot, Theta Chi president, said. \nThe $109,200 surpassed the sorority's goal of $100,000 and eclipsed last year's total by about $13,000. Setting another record for the event, about 2,600 people packed into the IU Auditorium to watch the event, about 100 more than last year, said junior Hallie Jaeger, ZTA's philanthropy chair. \n"It is a real rush to just be part of such a big event," Vanlanot said, "and to have so many people out there supporting you and egging you on." \nBig Man on Campus featured performances by 20 men, each representing a different fraternity and coached by members of a different sorority or the IU Student Foundation, Jaeger said. \n"It's wonderful because it is not just Zeta," Jaeger said. \nVanlanot, portraying Frank Sinatra, performed the singer's famous hit "Luck be a Lady." The performance earned him Best Talent honors, while the $6,738 he raised through Theta Chi and partner sorority Kappa Alpha Theta netted him the award for most funds raised. \nMost of the performances were musical, though they ranged from traditional favorites like "Sweet Caroline" to an original rap to encourage awareness about breast cancer.\nFor his act, second runner-up Jon Chan of Lambda Chi Alpha dressed as a Chippendale dancer and sang "Working for the Weekend." \n"(The best part of the event) was seeing a small community being able to raise so much money," Chan said. \nJacobs School of Music senior lecturer and two-time Grammy winner Sylvia McNair, who is currently undergoing treatment for cancer, performed two songs in addition to judging the competition. \n"Cancer was one of the best things that ever happened to me," McNair said during her performance. "It's a real perspective-getter."\nMoments later, McNair lifted off her wig, tossed it onto her accompanist's grand piano and began her second number, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."\n"It was the most phenomenal moment of the show," Jaeger said. "It was such a moment of strength for her and all survivors out there. It was really inspirational to see all the hope she brings."\nAt intermission, audience members could vote for their favorite act by putting money into that performer's bag. The event's People's Choice winner this year was Mike McElroy of Acacia, an Indiana Daily Student staffer, who brought in more than $500, Jaeger said.\nA silent auction of a number of goods the University and community donated offered participants another chance to raise funds for the philanthropy. \nDick Peterson, father of senior Katie Peterson, a ZTA member, said his wife bid on several of the items. \n"If we got everything (my wife) bid on and (we) spend $1,000, it would be the best $1,000 I've spent this year," Dick Peterson said. \nPerforming is nothing new to this year's Big Man on Campus. Vanlanot, a pre-med, biology and psychology major, has played piano since the age of 4. He also earned second runner-up honors in last year's Big Man on Campus for his performance as Tom Cruise, singing "You've Lost that Loving Feeling."\nThis winter, Vanlanot will release two solo albums, which he said he will sell or give away to friends and family. Still, he is not looking to take his hobby professional any time soon. \n"Music will keep me sane through medical school," Vanlanot said.\nVanlanot is unsure whether he will return next year to defend his crown, but he did not rule it out as a possibility. \n"If someone else in my fraternity wants to do it, that'll be great," Vanlanot said, "but if not, I'll see what I can do"