Yeagle has standout weekend

Even though the results from the IU men's soccer team's games this weekend were "disappointing," the play of freshman forward/midfielder Darren Yeagle gave the Hoosier faithful something to look forward to for the rest of the season.\nThe Louisville, Ky., native tallied a goal in each game this weekend against No. 2 University of Connecticut and No. 15 Notre Dame. For his efforts, Yeagle was named to the Adidas/IU Credit Union All-Tournament Team.\nYeagle, who redshirted last season, knew that with the departure of six IU starters to the professional ranks, he would have his opportunity this season to contribute to the Hoosiers.\n"We have a lot of new starters coming this year, and I knew I would have to be one of the guys that would step up and take leadership for this team," Yeagle said. "I just did what I had to do."\nYeagle scored the only goal in the Hoosiers' 1-1 draw with the Huskies. Eight minutes before the end of the first half, Yeagle made a run up the left side of the field. After passing several defenders, he juked past the Husky goalkeeper and shot the ball off the post and in the top corner.\nIn Sunday's matchup against in-state rival Notre Dame, Yeagle continued his offensive production for the cream and crimson.\nSeventeen seconds after sophomore midfielder Brad Ring tied the game in the first half, Yeagle gave the Hoosiers their only lead of the afternoon on a shot from inside the penalty box.\nAfter stealing the ball in the midfield, Yeagle drove down the left side of the field and found the upper corner against Notre Dame goalkeeper Chris Cahill.\n"I was making a diagonal run toward the middle," he said. "I just cut it to the outside of the defender and shot it near post."\nFinally, with 11.7 seconds remaining in regulation, a Notre Dame defender fouled Yeagle, which led to a Hoosier penalty kick. Senior midfielder John Michael Hayden sent the game to overtime by converting the penalty.\n"It was a clear foul, it was pretty big when he scored with 11 seconds left," Yeagle said. "He stepped up and took a big PK for us."\nYeagle scored one goal while playing midfielder and one goal while playing forward this weekend. IU coach Mike Freitag said he likes using Yeagle in various positions in the midfield and up top to utilize his skills.\n"I like Darren Yeagle wherever I put him," Freitag said. "He's a good player and we got a lot of good players, but today we let our guard down a little and we got punched in the nose."\nDespite the strong performance, Yeagle's play was overshadowed by Notre Dame forward Joseph Lapira. The forward scored four goals against the Hoosiers and was named the Classic's Offensive MVP.\nLapira, who wears No. 10, likened himself to a more famous Irish athlete who wears No. 10 -- quarterback Brady Quinn.\n"Yeah, I think I'm the big No. 10 on campus now. I think, like, it's been that way the whole time," Lapira said with a smile. "Brady is obviously much more big time than I am. I just hope I can score another goal or two this season."\nLapira scored seven goals all last year.\nEven though the results were disappointing, with the Hoosiers eventually falling 5-4 to the Fighting Irish, Yeagle said he will continue to work hard for the team, and he was proud of the way the Hoosiers fought back against the Irish.\n"That's IU soccer -- we won't ever give up no matter what the situation is," he said. "I have to keep doing what I've been doing and as a team we need to forget this game and move on"