Monday, June 17

Widow of man mauled by dogs upset upset

MARTINSVILLE, Ind. -- The widow of an 83-year-old man killed by dogs said Monday she's dissatisfied that the dogs' owners were sentenced to home-detention.\nBelva Fiscus, 79, called the attack "murder by dog," as she testified at Monday's sentencing hearing for neighbors Andy and Anita Warren.\n"They got away with murder," Fiscus said after the hearing.\nShe said the Warrens should go to jail as a warning to others who might let dangerous dogs run loose.\nThe Warrens pleaded guilty to failure to restrain a dog resulting in death for the July 1, 2005, fatal mauling of retired furniture store owner Boyd Fiscus.\nMorgan Superior Court Judge G. Thomas Gray said he was bound by the terms of the couple's plea agreement.\nGray sentenced Andy Warren, 50, to 180 days of home detention. Anita Warren, 48, received 90 days. Both were given three-year suspended sentences.\nThe Warrens were neighbors and friends of Boyd Fiscus, who lived with his wife in a rural Mooresville area.\nInvestigators determined that the Warrens' four dogs -- two bulldogs, a mastiff and a border collie that were destroyed after the mauling -- attacked and killed Fiscus.\nAnita Warren found Fiscus' body after Belva Fiscus called her, worried because she had found his torn straw hat but got no response when she called his name.