Only the costumes disappoint in Opera Theater's 'Giovanni' production

As is the style of many operas, IU Opera Theater's production of Mozart's "Don Giovanni" explores the ins and outs of love and relationships through the lens of melodrama. From men as lotharios to identities hidden by makeshift disguises and love portrayed as a casual emotion, the stereotypes abound.\nWhat made "Don Giovanni" unique was the vengeance of the women who were pursued and the serious overtones of the plot.\nThe opera surrounds the many lovers of Giovanni, a version of the universal lover Don Juan. His current pursuits, a blonde, a redhead and a brunette, symbolize the diversity of his "list," which stretched the length of the stage at the Musical Arts Center Friday night.\nGraduate student Austin Kness, playing Giovanni, adequately portrayed the protagonist, lending his booming baritone voice to the role. But it was his servant, Leporello, played by graduate student Alan Dunbar, who stole the show. Leporello is the loyal friend who helps Giovanni attain his women, often cleaning up the mess afterward and usually taking advantage of any "leftover" girls. \nWhile Kness often seemed over the top in his acting, Dunbar's advances were smooth and believable. Even though he was just as licentious as Giovanni, it's much easier to root for Leporello.\nThe women also excelled in their performances, playing intelligent and sexual roles, characterizations sometimes left out of operas. \nDoctoral student Vera Savage, playing the former lover of Giovanni, Donna Elvira, made it her mission to ruin any advances by Giovanni toward other women, often storming on stage to the audience's laughter. \nZerlina, Giovanni's brunette conquest, played by graduate student Natalie Ford, also defies stereotypes. Despite her pending engagement, she makes sexual advances of her own and lies to her fiance to cover her tracks with little sign of remorse. \nThe appearance of the opera was also worth mentioning. The staging of world-renowned stage director Tito Capobianco was innovative and humorous, adding life to what could have been a straight performance.\nMirrors lining the back of the set enhanced the performance, making the stage seem larger than life. \nBold costumes were also reflected in the mirrors. While the dresses were beautiful, Zerlina's seemed to come undone in Act One Friday night, revealing more of the actress than was intended. \nQuestions also arose regarding Giovanni's costume. The audacious hat and powder blue suit matched the character's personality, but the styling of his blue boots appeared more like converted Uggs. Paired with blue leggings, it seemed as if either the trends of 18th-century Spain had come back in vogue or an error had been made.\nAs for Giovanni's fate, he does not go unpunished, making for a scene worth waiting until the end for, both for its staging and moral commentary.\nNot surprisingly, the music of the evening was exceptional. Mozart's compositions were performed to perfection, while the soaring voices served as reminders of why the IU Jacobs School of Music is so highly acclaimed.\nThe prestige of the music school is what brought senior Kara Woolley to the show. \n"It's my senior year, and I thought I should experience what IU is really known for," she said.\nJunior Jackie Pyrz agreed and said she was pleased she had a chance to see the performance. \n"A lot of times we'll be walking by the music building and hear them practicing," she said. "It's nice to actually see it in person."\nDespite any minor flaws in the opening performance, the production was another to add to the long list of successes from the IU Jacobs School of Music. \nPerformances continue at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Tickets are available at the Musical Arts Center Box Office or by calling 855-7433 or visiting www.music.indiana.edu.