MTV encourages students to get 'ecomaginative'

Contest winner will receive free concert, $25,000

A car made out of beer cans that runs on beer and emits incense. A visor that harnesses the sun's energy to charge a laptop. These ideas might be impractical, but students need to get creative if they want to win the big prize from the mtvU GE ecomagination Challenge.\nThe premise is simple: Come up with an interesting idea of how IU can help save the planet and get $25,000 to implement it. Plus, win a free mtvU-sponsored concert on campus. \nIn an inaugural contest, mtvU and General Electric have teamed up to promote innovative solutions to what GE representative Britta Barrett called "the crisis in the world with global warming and ecology, etc."\n"Ideas can be big or small," Barrett said. "We're looking for students to imagine and build innovative solutions."\nAccording to the contest's Web site, ecocollegechallenge.com, mtvU and GE are "looking for innovative and ground-breaking ideas that can have a positive impact at the local level or the global level -- or both."\nBetween now and Dec. 1, students on any college campus can submit their ideas. The top 10 entrants will be posted online, and a viewer poll will give visitors a chance to vote on their favorite idea.\nMtvU is still determining which artist will perform for the Earth Day 2007 concert at the winning student or group's campus. Ross Martin, head of programming at mtvU, said they have a number of artists who are committed to the project and ensured it will be a big-name act. \nOnce the project ideas are online, eye-catching visuals will likely entice voters. For that reason, the ecochallenge Web site suggests entrants send something like pictures, video or a game to appeal to online voters.\nThe site says projects will be judged on ecology, imagination and economics.\nEcology judging will consider the effect the project will have in limiting global warming. Imagination criteria will include how cool, unique, artistic, technical and marketable the idea is. Last but not least, economic scoring will be based on how much it will cost, if it's worth doing and the timeline for getting the project up and running.\nThe winner will receive $25,000 in grant money to get the project running, but the goal is to get people thinking about the environment and find a way to implement ideas.\n"The goal is that (entrants) follow through on their idea," Barrett said. "Right now it's a one-time contest, but if it's successful it may become an annual event."\nMartin said the Earth Day celebration will not be just a day of music but also a day to celebrate great ideas.\n"We know there will be no limit of incredible ideas," he said.\nHe encouraged students to think unconventionally and without limitation. Martin has received a number of entries already and said he is excited to see what others come up with.\n"College students are some of the most brilliant thinkers when it comes to innovations for the environment," he said. "We want to get behind something big that will really make a big impact on a large scale"