Missing IU student found in New York

ATM and GPS records helped police track man's location

The anxious wait is over for Daniel Eliot's friends and family.\nEliot, an IU student who went missing at the end of August, was found in Manhattan Saturday, said Ronald Eliot, his father. Tracing his ATM account and the global positioning system in his phone brought police to him and he is currently being held at a center in New York until his parents bring him home. \nRonald Eliot said Sunday that he and his wife planned to fly to New York that night.\nEliot's friend Randyn Payne's voice was noticeably happy on the phone as he reacted to knowing his friend was safe. \n"I'm so relieved," he said. "Everyone's been so nervous and upset. It's great to get such a big chunk of good news. He's OK, and he's coming home soon. We all love the kid. It'll be good to have him around." \nEliot had been missing since Aug. 31. Family members first discovered Eliot's disappearance when officials called his aunt to tell her he had not shown up for his student teaching job at Carmel High School that day.\nRonald Eliot said he was grateful for the effort made by the police, the media and the concerned friends and family who brought his son home. \nFamily members still do not know why Eliot went away without telling anyone where he was staying or what his emotional state was, his father said, but it might have been that.\nRonald Eliot said he thinks stress led to his disappearance but said he will know a lot more once they have him home and are able to talk to him, Ronald Eliot said. \nAbove all, Ronald Eliot said he is relieved. He had been worried as days and weeks went by with no word from his son. He said he prayed for his son's safety and was audibly ecstatic that his prayers had been answered. \n"I feel like the Lord blessed us," Ronald Eliot said. "Me and my wife are very happy, but we'll feel a lot better once he's back here with us"