Saturday, June 15

Men's recruitment kicks off this weekend

Organizers hope to draw more than 1,000 students

Sophomore and Phi Kappa Tau member Jordan Loeb has some words of wisdom for the approximately 1,000 men who are expected to begin men's fall recruitment Friday night: do your homework. \nLoeb, who attended the men's recruitment kick-off in Dunn Meadow last year, said he talked to members of 80 percent of the fraternities at the event and visited 15 houses before finally pledging Phi Kappa Tau. Not bad for someone who had not even been sure he wanted to join a fraternity. \n"My advice is to not listen to stereotypes or what your friends say," Loeb said. "Check everyone out and see where you fit."\nChoosing a fraternity is serious business, Interfraternity Council President Justin Sloan emphasized, encouraging all future pledges to take the time to visit all the chapters on campus. \n"It is a huge decision that you need time to take into consideration," Sloan said. "You might only be living with your fraternity during the time you're in college, but you'll be an alumnus for the rest of your life."\nFortunately for potential new members, men who attend the kickoff will get some help in making these decisions. New freshmen, transfer students and some sophomores and juniors not yet affiliated with the greek system will flood Dunn Meadow Friday night from 5 to 7 p.m. to kick off this year's men's recruitment season. Potential fraternity members are expected to chow down on pizza and check out different chapters' tables as fraternity members vie for their attention, Sloan said.\nThe event gives potential members the opportunity to meet men from all the chapters. Students can chat with members of each fraternity and get a feel for where they might fit in.\n"It's a key event for the weekend," Sloan said. "If you can't come to anything else, you need to come to this."\nFive to 10 members of each fraternity will run each table, Sloan said. In preparation, many fraternities make T-shirts, pick lettered items to bring and create PowerPoint presentations.\n"It's a chapter's time to brag," Sloan said.\nThough each fraternity is looking to claim new members, the atmosphere is "really positive," said senior Mychal Selle, one of the rush chairs for Phi Kappa Sigma, also known as Skulls.\n"No one has pride issues," Selle said. "Everyone has a really positive attitude because we are all going out to advertise, to show freshmen that the fraternity is more than just the stereotypes."\nMost importantly, Sloan said, anyone who might be interested in rushing can get registered for fall recruitment. Once potential members register, they receive wristbands that show they are interested in rushing, allowing them entrance to recruitment and social events at the different fraternities.\n"The wristband lets the members know that this is someone very interested in joining a fraternity, and that he needs to be receiving VIP treatment at our events," Sloan said.\nUnlike women's recruitment, it is free for men to sign up for recruitment.\n"Everyone is strongly encouraged to attend," Sloan said. "Whether you are thinking about (rushing) or not, it doesn't cost you anything to come check it out"