Little 500 riders hold forum to discuss rule change

Participants upset at IUSF decision

A riders' forum Wednesday night gauged rider input about the recent rule that banned alumni from coaching in the Little 500 on race day.\nAlpha Tau Omega and Kappa Delta coach Norm Houze and Kappa Alpha Theta coach Tom Schwoegler represented 21 coaches of 33 teams who sent a letter to the IU Student Foundation regarding the rule change.\nIUSF made a ruling last May banning alumni coaches from being in the pit on race day of the Little 500. Student coaches are to take the place of the alumni coaches beginning with the 2007 edition of the annual cycling race.\nThe coaches wanted to hear rider opinion about the ruling, one they argue was passed with little to no input from the riders.\n"The number one thing we thought about is what you guys think," Schwoegler said. "We don't have a constitutional right to coach in this race. It is your stewardship that keeps this race going."\nAbout 60 riders showed up to the forum to voice their opinions about the rule change. The coaches asked the IUSF not to attend the meeting, so the IUSF is planning on meeting with riders next week to explain the ruling.\nThe riders unanimously disagreed with the ruling and used the forum to voice their concerns with the possibility of having no alumni coaches in the pit this year.\nConcerns ranged from inexperience of the student coaches to IUSF's failure to adequately respond to questions riders have had in the wake of the decision.\n"Even with this class, they aren't going to be able to understand the race," Sigma Alpha Mu rider Drew Kushnick said. "You want the coach to know what he is doing, and you don't want to deal with a new coach on race day." \nThe audience was told about a letter the coaches sent to the IUSF asking about the rule change. IUSF responded to the letter by saying they would form an alumni coaches council and a mentoring program where the alumni coaches would assist the learning process for the new student coaches.\nThere will be another meeting for riders and coaches at 9 p.m. tonight in the Education Building, room 1120.