Hill promises to change health care system, war

Democrat vows to bring troops home with honor

Baron Hill, Democratic candidate for the 9th Congressional District, addressed the IU College Democrats Wednesday and promised change if re-elected to Congress.\nHill is facing Rep. Mike Sodrel, R-9th, for the third time in what is expected to be another close race. In 2002, Hill won the seat by about 9,000 votes. In 2004, Sodrel won the seat by fewer than 1,500 votes.\nLibertarian candidate Eric Schansberg is also running.\nHill held the seat from 1998 until 2004 defeat.\nSpeaking to a crowd of more than 200 in Jordan Hall, Hill touched on a variety of topics, including health care reform, the war in Iraq and ethics.\n"Everywhere I go, people come up to me complaining about the high cost of health care," he said. "Even Republican businessmen are coming up to me saying something has to be done about the cost of health care."\nHill said that before legislating health care reform, Congress needs to debate whether health care is a right or a privilege.\n"It's hard for pharmaceutical companies to tear apart a plan if it's a right for people," he said.\nBefore the speech, state Rep. Matt Pierce, D-Bloomington, introduced Hill, reminding those in attendance how important this race could be in deciding control of the House of Representatives.\n"I think we are on the verge of making history in the U.S. Congress," Pierce said. "This is ground zero in a battle to take back Congress and make the American people our priority."\nHill promised a quicker end to the Iraq war if Democrats gain control of the House in November.\n"If you put us in power we will bring the troops home sooner rather than later," he said. "And we will do it with honor. We won't cut and run."\nThough Hill voted to authorize President Bush's invasion of Iraq in 2003, he now says he was lied to about the necessity of the invasion at a meeting attended by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and then-Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz.\n"They showed us centrifuges they said Iraq was using to make nuclear weapons and drone airplanes they said could fly under the radar to attack the U.S. with chemical and biological weapons," Hill said. "Then four months later I met with an air force general who said it was all made up."\nIf Democrats retake the House, Hill also said there would probably be investigations into the Bush administration, but he also urged restraint among his fellow party members.\n"I think Democrats need to be careful," he said. "We can't assume we're going to impeach this president like some members of my party want. There need to be investigations, but not a witch hunt."\nSodrel addressed the IU College Republicans at the group's call out meeting Monday.