Former NHL player new hockey coach

As a former player in the National Hockey League and an experienced coach, Al Karlander's strategy for winning a national title with the IU club hockey team is surprisingly simple.\n"We need to improve two things (to win a national title): We need to play better team defense since we allowed too many goals in big games last year. But we also need to improve our already sound offensive," Karlander said. "I always say that the best defense is a good offense."\nKarlander became the 20th IU hockey coach and sports an impressive resume. He played six years in the National Hockey League with the Detroit Red Wings, coached in the Central Hockey League and coached 20 years of travel and high school hockey in Carmel, Ind. Karlander won multiple state championships with Carmel High School.\nOffense could be the key to winning, Karlander said. However, it is something that might be hard to come by at the Hoosiers' home rink -- the Frank Southern Ice Arena. The rink, which is smaller than a normal regulation rink, is unnatural for many players, but Karlander said it will provide an advantage for the Hoosiers.\n"Since it's our home rink, we will be used to it," Karlander said. "Other teams will have to make adjustments, but we won't."\nThe abnormal rink might be one advantage, but the veteran roster, which includes Karlander's son Dan, is another. Karlander said former IU coach Rich Holdeman built a good program during his tenure. Karlander wants to build on that foundation and maximize the team's talent to ultimately win a national title.\nThe team's talent comes not only from returning players, but also from players Karlander recruited. He said he targeted students from the Midwest and recruited at the Chicago Showcase, a national tournament featuring the best high school players from around the country. \nBesides going out and actively seeking players, Karlander also had students contacting him.\n"A lot of the recruiting came from the e-mails and calls I received with questions about the program," Karlander said.\nMore than 50 players tried out for the team this season, a number that is a little larger than average. Karlander said most of the players are capable of playing in the league. From that group, he chose a team he said he is excited about.\n"I think the student body will be pleased with the product," said Karlander. "It should be very \nentertaining to watch"