Monday, June 17

Famous Hoosiers form new class of Hall of Fame inductees

Basketball player Alan Henderson, golfer Erika Wicoff and sportscaster Dick Enberg headline this year's class of Indiana University Hall of Fame inductees.\nThe rest of this year's class, announced Monday, includes basketball player Jon McGlocklin, tennis player Dave Power and baseball star Mike Smith.\nWicoff, McGlocklin, Power and Smith will all be inducted Nov. 10 and will be recognized at halftime of Indiana's football game Nov. 11 against Michigan. Enberg and Henderson, who still plays in the NBA, will be inducted when their schedules permit.\nHenderson, a former All-American, ranks sixth on the Hoosiers' career scoring list with 1,979 points, holds the career record for rebounds (1,091) and helped Indiana reach the Final Four in 1992 and the regional semifinals in 1993.\nWicoff is the most decorated women's golfer in Indiana history after earning three individual Big Ten titles and leading the Hoosiers to Big Ten team crowns in 1995 and 1996. Indiana finished fifth nationally in 1996, and Wicoff set the single-season school record for lowest scoring average (73.92) in 1994. She was a two-time All-American and has five top 10 finishes in seven years on the LPGA Tour.\nEnberg received a master's degree and a doctorate in health sciences at Indiana, and he received an honorary doctorate from IU in 2002. He is celebrating his 50th anniversary in broadcasting this year. He has worked for CBS and NBC and has called nine Rose Bowls, six Orange Bowls, four Olympic Games and 22 Wimbledon championships, among other events.\nMcGlocklin scored 827 points in three years from 1963-65 and is fourth on the school's single-season list for free throw percentage (90.0). He played 11 seasons in the NBA, including eight with the Milwaukee Bucks, who retired his jersey -- No. 14-- in 1976.\nPower, a two-time All-American, went 57-7 in singles and 47-8 in doubles, helping Indiana capture the 1964 Big Ten title. He is currently vice president of Windward Lake Club in Alpharetta, Ga.\nSmith was the 1992 Big Ten player of the year and won college's triple crown with a .490 batting average, 27 home runs and 95 RBI. He once hit nine home runs in nine days and is the school's career leader in home runs (47) and slugging percentage (1.490).