Buskirk-Chumley hosts free showing of 'The Ground Truth'

Documentary follows U.S. soldiers in Iraq

At 7 p.m. Sunday, the Buskirk-Chumley Theater will present a free screening of "The Ground Truth," a documentary that follows men and women who served the American military in the Iraq war, according to the film's Web site. The movie shows the journey through recruitment, training, combat and homecoming and chronicles the soldiers' process of reintegrating with their families and communities.\nAfter the screening, Iraq veteran Charles Anderson will engage in a question-and-answer session with the audience. Anderson served in the U.S. Navy from 1996-2005, according to "The Ground Truth" Web site. After being deployed to Kuwait in February 2003, Anderson entered Iraq in March 2003 as part of the war's first wave of American soldiers. \nAnderson returned to the United States with post-traumatic stress disorder, a disorder that affects 30 percent of Iraq veterans, according to "The Ground Truth" Web site. He was discharged in 2005 because of the disorder. He has since been an advocate for not only ending the Iraq war but also helping troops re-adjust when they return to the United States, according to the Web site says.\nJessica Love, senior account director of Venture Communications, the public relations firm that promotes Veterans for America, said the main focus of the film is the soldiers' returns from Iraq and how they cope with the adjustment. The Buskirk-Chumley screening, Love said, is an attempt to raise awareness about the documentary in hopes that others will want to hold screening parties of the movie in churches, private homes and on college campuses. \nPeople can purchase the DVD, sign up to host a screening and find out more information about the movie at www.thegroundtruth.net.