Buses have record-setting week

Last week IU Campus Bus Service experienced a "record-setting" increase in ridership, a continuation of a trend that began last year when buses became free to all students, campus bus service officials said. \nThe system reached a new record high in passenger usage Aug. 29, carrying 22,816 people, according to a news release. This number eclipsed the old record of 22,492 passengers, set just one day earlier.\nThe rise in usage continues an increase that began last year, said Kent McDaniel, IU assistant director of transportation services. \nMcDaniel said the bus service saw a usage increase of approximately 59 percent last year when all campus buses became free for student use. McDaniel said the trend continued this year, as usage has increased about 28 percent from where it was at this time last year.\nThe service, which will celebrate its 40th anniversary this year, also served its 80 millionth passenger this fall, a milestone McDaniel said "snuck up" on it.\nJunior Dan Trope said he has noticed a rise in bus usage since his first year, when the service was not free. \n"Once they got rid of the transportation fare, it seems like the buses are a lot more crowded than they were my freshman year," Trope said. \nMcDaniel said he could think of various reasons why usage was on the rise, including high gas prices and a larger freshman class. However, he said he believes the increase has occurred because of the convenience of the bus service and the dedication of bus service employees.\n"When I think about it, to me it's just a tribute to all the people who have worked there," McDaniel said. "It's quite an accomplishment."\nPerry Maull, operations manager of campus bus service, offered a different explanation for the usage increase. Maull, an IU graduate, said changes he has noticed since returning to campus in July might account for the rise.\n"I think, first of all, it meets their needs," Maull said. "My impression is there's a lot more cars on campus. ... (Students) are choosing to take the bus because it's more convenient."\nMcDaniel said the bus service is always looking for ways to be more efficient and helpful to passengers. He said it was doubtful the service can add any more buses, but he said campus bus service is always looking for schedule and route changes that can make it more useful to students.\nThough statistics show an increase in use of the free transportation, some students said they have not encountered major problems with crowded buses. Trope said he hasn't noticed more crowds or problems with the system.\nSophomore Andrew Ferry said he hasn't yet noticed an increase in usage of the campus bus service either. However, he said the system as a whole, in his opinion, works well.\n"I think it's a good thing," Ferry said. "It's a good way for people to get from off-campus or McNutt or Briscoe to the classroom buildings."\nBut that level of convenience might change. Maull said he expects current ridership to stay the same through the fall but expects more riders as temperatures grow colder.\n"I'm thinking we're going to get more ridership as the weather worsens," Maull said.