Saturday, June 15

'A symbol of what her life meant'

Bracelet fundraiser helps student's family pay bills after her April death

When junior Nichole Birky died of cardiac arrhythmia April 5, she left behind dozens of friends and family members. She also left thousands of dollars in student loans that have left her family financially strapped.\nBirky's friends and members of her sorority, Delta Zeta, have not forgotten about her or her family. The sorority, along with Birky's friends, are now selling bracelets to raise money for the Birky family, and they also are planning to set up a scholarship in her name.\n"We knew she had taken out loans to pay for school," Delta Zeta President Jessica Braman said. "And she was paying for the sorority house, too. She was always hard-working and responsible with money."\nBirky funded most of her education through student loans, close friend, junior Jessie Robinson said. Robinson and Birky grew up together because Birky was from Gas City, Ind., and Robinson was from the nearby town of Marion, Ind. Both became members of Delta Zeta. \n"I'd known about (her finances) previously because we were both struggling," Robinson said. "When it happened, the family voiced that the school really wanted them to start paying the loans."\nSenior Ryan Cline, who dated Birky for two months before she died, said about a week after Birky's death, her family received a letter requesting they begin paying off her student loans. \n"Financially, it is understandable (that the loans must be paid back)," Cline said. "But it is very sad to see, after what they've gone through, that now they've got this worry \nhanging over their head."\nRobinson and senior Amy Patel, another of Birky's friends, wanted to create a fundraiser that would appeal to college students, she said. They decided to sell rubber bracelets -- similar to Lance Armstrong's "Livestrong" wristbands. So far, the fundraiser has worked, Robinson said. Of the 550 bracelets they ordered, Robinson has sold about 50 of the bracelets so far, and Patel has sold 20 or 30. Birky's mother took half of the bracelets to sell around Gas City, Ind., Birky's hometown, Patel said. Members of Delta Zeta sorority are also selling the bracelets.\n"No family prepares for their daughter's death at age 21, so we're just trying to find a way to help out the family," Patel said.\nThe bracelets are selling for a minimum donation of $3, Robinson said. So far, the group has only recovered the cost of the bracelets plus about $200, she said. Ultimately, the sorority hopes to raise at least $2,000 for the family, she said.\n"Most people give more than $3," Robinson said. "We've even had people just give us money. We've had professors, students, friends and family all buy them."\nFraternity and sorority members have purchased the most bracelets, Robinson said.\n"I just brought it up at the Gavel (a weekly meeting of sorority presidents), and we already have two sororities ready with money," Braman said. "The greek system has been very supportive."\nAfter helping out Birky's family, Delta Zeta would like to set up a scholarship in her name, Braman said, but the project is still in the early planning stages.\nThe bracelets, which Robinson and Patel custom ordered from a Web site, come in small and large sizes and are available in solid pink and red and white - the colors of Mississinewa High School, which Birky attended. The bracelets read "Lovin' Life" on one side, Robinson said. Birky's mom asked for the phrase to be included as a reminder of what Birky really valued, she said. The other side of the bracelets has Birky's initials -- NMB -- written between two hearts. The inside of the bracelets is inscribed with her date of birth and death. \n"It's to remind people to live their lives to the fullest," Robinson said. "It is a symbol of what her life meant."\n-Campus editor Carrie Ritchie contributed to this story.