Dean of Students Dick McKaig

ALL ABOUT ME

Dick McKaig may find time to do a lot of things around the IU campus, but also depends on modern technology to catch him up on everything he misses as having a time-consuming job like Dean of Students and Vice President of Student Affairs.\n"I have to use my DVR to record all of my favorite shows," he says. "I watch '24' and 'Deadwood' on HBO. I also really like 'The West Wing,' but it's gone now—so now I'm in trouble."\nIn the summer months he tries to keep things as simple as possible.\n"I just like to loathe," McKaig says jubilantly. "Just lie on the couch, watch TV, swim in the swimming pool. I don't need any additional addictions. It's just really nice to have free time."\nSummer blockbusters fall through McKaig's fingers, however. He may get to enjoy having his primetime lineup recorded while he's not home, but it still doesn't do much for his movie-going habits. \n"No, I haven't seen 'Snakes on a Plane,'" he says, laughing.\nIn fact, going to the movies at all is a treat in itself: "I usually just make it to the movies about twice a year, actually. It's embarrassing. I only get there once in the winter and once in the summer."\nWorking on a campus saturated with MP3 players, does Dean McKaig keep up with the listening habits of his students?\n"Of course I have an iPod!" he says. "I've had one for years. I even have the docking deck right here on my desk, so I can listen to it even while I'm not walking around."\nChances are you won't bump into our charismatic Dean listening to his iTunes at Kilroy's or Bluebird, unfortunately. He prefers immersing himself in on-campus activities, experiencing first hand what IU students encounter every day.\n"I don't usually frequent those kinds of hotspots. Wow--I've been here 30 years and never been to Bluebird," he says with another laugh. "I do go to many things here on campus, though."\nHe dove right into things just this week at the residence halls.\n"Just the other night I went over to Read for their Welcome Week Pajama Jam, and it was lots of fun," McKaig says. "But it was lame because I went straight from the office and all of these opening ceremonies—so here I am with my suit and tie and everyone else is in pajamas."\nBut McKaig still looks on the bright side, even if he was in violation of dress code.\n"I got my red Read bandana and everything," he said. "It was very cool"