Behrman trial postponed

The upcoming trial of Ellettsville resident John R. Myers II, charged with the murder of 19-year-old IU student Jill Behrman who was killed six years ago, has been postponed by a month.\nTuesday Morgan Superior Court Judge Christopher Burnham set the new trial date for Oct. 10, at the request of the defense's attorney Patrick Baker of Indianapolis.\nBaker initially asked for a continuance at a scheduled pre-trial hearing Monday afternoon, requesting more discovery time be allowed for research regarding the witnesses who will be presented at the trial. \nMorgan County prosecutor Steve Sonnega also expressed concerns that the county's annual fall festival, which is held on the courthouse square the first week of October, would conflict with the trial. \n"It became very obvious in the start of discovery that we were not going to get (the trial) done in the time described," Sonnega said.\nThe trial is expected to take two to three weeks, and both sides agreed they didn't want a major festival, which effectively shuts down Martinsville's main street, neighboring an intensive murder trial.\n"It would not be fair to anybody, including the jury. ... It just made sense to wait until the end of the festival and start fresh," Sonnega said.\nThe delay didn't bother the Behrman family either.\n"For the integrity of the trial, it's probably better to have a longer time frame," said Jill's mother Marilyn Behrman. "I want it to be done properly. And honestly, we've waited so long to get to this point that a month doesn't make much of a difference," \nIn addition, Burnham issued two pre-trial orders Tuesday regarding general rules and preliminary schedules and deadlines for the case. \nOne of the more important upcoming deadlines is in regard to the approximately 120 witnesses who are expected to testify, some of whom may have testified before the grand jury in March as well. A final list is due in the court by Aug. 11. \nAny last motions, other than simple routine ones, must be made by Aug. 1. \nThe 11-page document contained standard information regarding the 12-member jury selection and process, as well as a detailed schedule of events for the length of the murder trial. Every day of the trial will begin at 8 a.m. and adjourn by 6:30 p.m. \nThe judge also issued a seven-page order for the media regarding coverage of the trial.\nThe last two pre-trial hearings are scheduled for Aug. 7 and 28. \nA Morgan County grand jury indicted Myers, 30, in April for Behrman's murder. He pleaded not guilty to the count of murder against him. If convicted, Myers faces a sentence of 40 years to life in prison without parole or the death penalty.\n"I trust the system," Marilyn Behrman said. "I want justice to prevail, whatever that is." \nBehrman disappeared May 31, 2000 after she went for a morning bicycle ride in the Bloomington area. An extensive search only recovered her bike. In 2003, hunters found skeletal remains that were later identified as Jill's in a wooded area near Paragon, Ind., in rural Morgan County.