Trustees hear life sciences update

INDIANAPOLIS -- At a full day of board of trustees meetings Tuesday -- one of which was called to announce the members of the search committee for IU's next president -- a "broad overview" and future goals for life sciences was discussed. Current IU President Adam Herbert said Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium need major repairs and the mission differentiation project was updated.

Life sciences update

\nIn Tuesday's committee meeting, Craig Brater, IU School of Medicine dean and vice president for life sciences, gave an ambitious presentation laying out major upgrades for life sciences at IU. Brater said significant increases are necessary for the department that includes research areas like bio-imaging, cancer, diabetes and neurosciences, according to its Web site, \n"We have to double what we're doing," Brater said. "(The goal is that) if anyone hears the words 'life sciences' the immediate thought that comes to their mind is Indiana University. And when anyone hears Indiana University, the immediate thought is life sciences." \nIt's a lofty goal for a University already known for die-hard basketball tradition, renowned programs like the Kelley School of Business, Jacobs School of Music, IU School of Journalism and a world class research facility, but it's a goal Brater thinks is attainable. \nBrater said increases in faculty and research will cost a lot, but will reap great reward for the state's economy in the long run. He said IU's faculty is just as talented as other top research institutions, but they need more money and need to bring in more senior faculty. \n"To play the game you've gotta have a lot of resources," Brater said. \nBrater said significant research has been done to find out the appropriate increases needed to put IU on the map for life sciences. He said the common association with all top research institutions in the country was the high level of funding they received. \nHerbert said he's proud of the steps taken since the life sciences strategic plan was developed a few months ago and looks forward to more progress.

Athletic renovations

\nAssembly Hall may be replaced or renovated, and renovations are being considered for Memorial Stadium. Herbert said IU needs to improve their football and basketball stadiums, and he said he plans to look at athletic facilities further in September. Possible updates include end-zone extensions for Memorial Stadium. Herbert said the sporting facilities are aging and that they are looking at the rest of the Big Ten and continuing their analysis in the coming months.

Mission differentiation

\nDuring the president's report, Herbert spoke about the value of mission differentiation for IU campuses and gave the floor to Charlie Nelms, vice president for student development and diversity, who said the University as a hole has outgrown the one-size fits all approach and that it's time for each campus to fulfill their capabilities as individual campuses. \n"More than anything else it (mission differentiation) will empower and enable our campuses," Nelms said. "To be in a position to really fulfill and respond to the needs of the citizens of Indiana, instead of being a product in and of itself." \nEach campus now requires students to pass Core 40 or higher for admission to IU, though there is flexibility to accept others.