Mayor annouces $25,000 in grants for 3 non-profits

Ivy Tech will be only campus in state to host groups

Three local non-profit organizations received a grant of $25,000 from Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan Tuesday. \nGirls, Inc., Monroe County United Ministries and Martha's House will partner with the Ivy Tech Community College Center for Civic Engagement to use the funds. The goal is to support the local non-profits while fostering a service-learning environment for the faculty and students of Ivy Tech.\nThe grant is the third part of Kruzan's plan for six Community Collaborations in 60 days.\nThe Center for Civic Engagement, working with faculty and students, will determine each organization's needs and potential through careful evaluation. They will then match the non-profits with a class or program that will assist them with their portion of the $25,000 grant.\nDorothy Granger, executive director of Girls, Inc. is thrilled about the collaboration.\n"I am excited that the city is making this effort to collaborate more and develop this with Ivy Tech," she said. "We have a wealth of resources in the community and I like it when we can all work together."\nGranger said Girls, Inc. is not sure what areas the faculty and students will choose to focus on, but that they are open to any of the possibilities. Girls, Inc. has done service-learning with IU in the past, with students working as hands-on program assistants.\n"We have a great relationship (with IU). I think it is great that we're expanding into Ivy Tech," she said.\nDuring the press conference, Kruzan said that the grant and collaboration is beneficial to the entire community. He emphasized that social services frequently suffer in times of economic hardship.\n"We view this grant as an investment in not only the participating agencies but in the community as a whole," Kruzan said.\nKruzan chose the three organizations for their significance to the community's economic and social needs said John Zody, director of Civic Engagement at Ivy Tech.\n"Social service organizations are important contributors to Bloomington's economic vitality," Kruzan said. He added that social service organizations are the first to lose government funding, yet they have a tremendous impact "on the well-being and balance of our community."\nGirls, Inc. has dedicated its services and funds to the development of girls and young women, concentrating on citizenship and identity, for the past 30 years. Since 1939, United Ministries has provided social services to the needy throughout the community. The third and newest organization, Martha's House, is a social services shelter and case management provider.\nThe Bloomington Ivy Tech campus is the only one in the state to have a Center for Civic Engagement. Their service-learning goals use volunteerism and community engagement in course curricula, Zody said.\n"We are very grateful of the city's recognition and support of that effort," he said in an e-mail.\nA report assessing Ivy Tech, the Center for Civic Engagement and the non-profits' goals is due August 30, 2006, before the commencement of the next academic year.