Allergy season hits IU

Pharmacists say now is the peak season for symptoms

Sneezing, an itchy nose and itchy, watery eyes. \nCommonplace in the spring and fall, these symptoms are the hallmark of allergy sufferers. One in five Americans suffers from some form of an allergy, according to a report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Seventy-five percent of those people suffer from indoor and outdoor-related allergies.\nAs summer approaches, Bloomington and IU enter a peak season for those who have allergies, said Divya Patel-Anil, a pharmacist at CVS on East Third Street.\n"(Allergy-related questions) are the most questions I answer in a day," she said.\nThe Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America ranks the worst 100 cities for spring allergy sufferers. Several Indiana cities made the list, including Indianapolis at 43, and South Bend and Fort Wayne at 94 and 70, respectively. \nPharmacist Nathan Gabhart of Williams Bros. Health Care Pharmacy said that for treatment most people use "blanket drugs," meaning they cover a lot of triggers.\nMany of these over-the-counter and prescription drugs are available to treat the symptoms. Benadryl, Tavist and Claritin are OTC medications available at drug stores, and stronger doses of Claritin are available with a prescription from a physician.\n"Benadryl is best for pet and dander allergies, but it does cause drowsiness," he said. "There is not a big difference between allergy medications for what they treat."\nGabhart said there are unfortunately not any reliable alternatives to relieve symptoms.\n"Herbal remedies are available, but they are not (Food and Drug Administration) approved," he said. "Finding a good product is challenging."\nSenior Arun D'Silva is allergic to dust, but doesn't take anything for it. Instead, he avoids sweeping and being around it. He said he knows of drugs that can help, but still he doesn't take them.\n"I feel it's too much effort for dust allergies," D'Silva said.\nJunior Shawn Hilligoss said his allergies have only started this year.\n"The weather is pretty nasty," he said, blaming the weather for his symptoms. "I'm suffering from them right now."\nHe has been taking a decongestant three times a day for his allergy-related symptoms instead of an allergy medicine.\nPatel-Anil said this self-treatment method is a common misconception. People can confuse allergies and colds, yet the symptoms are actually quite different, she said. She listed sneezing as a shared symptom but stated many others exist for colds.\n"There is sinus pressure and congestion," she said. "There could be a cough also going on with irritation in the throat."\nLike Hilligoss, many believe the rain itself increases allergies, yet Gabhart said this is actually not the case, as it just forces people to go inside where certain allergies can be exacerbated. \n"It gets the mold and pollen out of the air," he said. "The rainy weather keeps people inside more, and most homes don't have much air filtration. More pollutants collect in the house."\nGabhart explained that several environments are bad for allergy sufferers. The summer agriculture puts more pollen into the air as people spend more time outdoors. Rainy seasons reduce the pollen, yet keep people inside with indoor pollution.\n"Indiana isn't a good place to live with allergies," said Gabhart.