Hoosiers set for home doubleheader

Freshman duo to face former youth coaches

Cincinnati natives freshman John Mellencamp and sophomore Kevin Noschang will get a chance tonight to show their former youth coaches how they have developed at the collegiate level.\nThe IU men's soccer team will play a double-header tonight with a split-squad versus IUPUI at 4:30 p.m., with the Cincinnati Kings of the United Soccer Leagues Second Division following at 7:30 p.m.\n"(John and I) know a couple of the guys that play on the (Cincinnati Kings)," Noschang said. "It will be a good chance to give them a run for their money."\nMellencamp and Noschang played on the same team at Lakota West High School in West Chester, Ohio, along with the same club team in high school -- the Cincinnati United Premier. The duo also played for the Toledo Slayers of the Premier Development League last summer.\nIU coach Mike Freitag canceled the previously scheduled match with IUPUI because of a depleted roster from injuries and off-season surgeries.\nIU tied Lindsey Wilson College 1-1 March 26 and defeated the University of Cincinnati Friday 1-0, moving its spring record to 1-0-1.\nIUPUI finished the 2005 campaign 5-11-1, while the Cincinnati Kings finished their season 7-8-5.\nDuring the spring, NCAA rules allow soccer teams to play two matches in one day.\n"This team from Cincinnati will be an older, more physical team," Freitag said. "The spring is a time to try different things and experiment by giving different guys an opportunity to play and show what they can do."\nFreitag went on to say it has been a frustrating spring for the team because of injuries, which have not allowed his "first teamers" to play together at one time. Returning two-year starting midfielder John Michael Hayden had surgery on his knee and returning starting defender Greg Stevning has a sports hernia.\nNoschang is currently battling a knee injury, as well.\nSome of the players Freitag singled out as playing well and emerging this spring are forward Darren Yeagley, midfielders Mellencamp, freshmen Brad Ring and Billy Weaver.\nMellencamp said he is finally relaxed playing wide in the midfield in Mike Ambersley's former position.\n"With some of the guys who left, I realized it's my chance to step up," Mellencamp said. "What it really came down to is relaxing and playing my game. I just let my personality finally come out."\nIU lost a total of six players from last season because of graduation and players turning professional.\nNoschang came off the bench last season and played forward. Now he has a chance to fight for the starting spot on the front line.\n"I've been working hard since I've been here," Noschang said. "I want to earn the position and that will come with playing more."\nIU will play IUPUI at the practice field behind the University School at 10th Street and the Bypass, while the match versus the Kings will take place at Bill Armstrong Stadium.