Saturday, June 15

College Mentors run to collect funds for kids

Weather results in better turnout than previous year

After two days of violent weather, Mother Nature relented Sunday afternoon with sunny and temperate conditions for participants in College Mentors for Kids' 5K Run/Walk, as they grabbed their jogging gear to raise money for kids in need. Regardless of whether it was the weather or available late registration, the group's "Race for Higher Education" saw an increased turnout from 2005's inaugural race, with close to 160 students helping bring in about $1,000 for the program. \nLast year, about 120 people signed up for the race, but poor weather kept many who had already signed up at home, Internal President Caitlin Owens said. This year about the same number pre-registered for the race, but between 30 and 40 additional students also took advantage of late registration to join the day of the race. \n"Late registration really helped us out this year," Owens said. "In the future, we will hopefully get the word out more about early registration, but we really want to thank everyone who participated in the event." \nParticipants who signed up before April 5 paid $15 to join if they wanted a T-shirt, or $11 if they did not. For those who waited until the day of the race to register, prices increased to $20 with a shirt or $15 without. Though the group had not yet tabulated the exact number as of press time, Brian Daywalt, external president of the group, estimated the group had raised about $1,000. The money will go toward funding the program, which has a yearly budget of about $13,000. Still, Daywalt said he isn't satisfied yet. \n"We'd like to see (the race) continue to grow as it becomes a recognized event on campus," Daywalt said. "Ideally, next year, we'll be able to get the word out and advertise more, maybe have advisers sending all their students an e-mail about it."\nAbout 70 of the participants in the race were members of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, who participated as part of a community service activity. Participation was not mandatory, said Alex Bernardi, the vice-president of membership, but most of the chapter chose to join. \n"Smaller events like this one tend to be overshadowed by the big ones," Bernardi said. "We heard that (CMFK) needed support, so we thought it would be good to come help the underdog."\nBernardi said she hopes her sorority's participation in the event will help encourage more greek organizations to take part in smaller events on campus. Delta Delta Delta will probably participate in the race again next year as well. \nMore than just a fundraiser, the race was also a way to interact with other members, Daywalt said. Because two groups of mentors and their elementary school buddies meet on different days, not all mentors have met before. Holding the race also allows the group to gain recognition on campus, he said. \n"It's a way to be out and around on campus," Daywalt said. "Even after the race, people will be showing their support when they walk around with the shirt on, too."\nCollege Mentors for Kids was founded by two undergraduate students, Heidi Schmidt and Kristin Huang, at IU in 1995. The pair saw a gap in services offered to needy children, between the Head Start program, which prepares children for kindergarten, and the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program, which begins in fourth grade, Owens said. \nSince then, College Mentors for Kids has spread rapidly. Currently offered at 18 campuses across Indiana and one in Illinois, the program has expanded by two or three chapters each year, said Laura Feldman, associate program director for the state-wide CMFK program. \n"We are looking at expanding nationally," Feldman said. "We constantly get inquiries from college students saying 'This is such a unique program, how can I bring it to my school?'"\nStudents enrolled in the College Mentors for Kids program are those who are considered "at-risk" based on their families' economic status, Feldman said. Fairview and Unionville elementary schools were chosen to be part of the IU program based on a need seen there. Of students at Fairview Elementary School, 86 percent are eligible for free or reduced-price lunches, a strong indication of economic need, Feldman said. Unionville Elementary was chosen based on both economic need and its location, which Feldman says prevents students from being able to take part in many enrichment programs because of transportation considerations. \n"Many of the students from Fairview and Unionville have the potential to be first-generation college students," Feldman said. \n"I hope that the race raised a lot of money for the program," said mentor Cole McKown. "The more money we have, the more kids can join the program"