Students invited to InMotion Dance company workshop this weekend

Tick. Tick. Boom.\nThe InMotion Dance Explosion Workshop 2006 will detonate in rhythm at 11 a.m. Sunday in the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation room 169 and end at 4 p.m. Dancers ages 15 and older are welcome. The full workshop will cost $15, and a half-day is $10.\nThe day will begin with registration followed by a 30-minute warm-up and stretch. Jazz and a technique class make up the first half of the day. At 1:30 p.m., participants will receive a 30-minute break while those who want to sign up for the second half of the workshop register. Hip-hop and lyrical classes will finish up the dance-filled day.\nJustine Menter, co-director of InMotion, said the sessions of the first half of the day will be at an easier level than the second. For dancers with less technical experience, she said the hip-hop class that she is teaching might also be a fun challenge.\n"Our workshop is trying to mimic an actual dance convention you would go to with a dance studio, without the auditions and competition," she said. "It's just a fun time to dance all day and learn new styles and technique."\nMembers of InMotion will be teaching the four classes. Sophomore Kristin Tanzillo, who will be teaching the jazz class, said anyone interested in auditioning for the group should attend the workshop. \n"The teachers are very experienced and knowledgeable and have a lot of valuable information to offer," she said.\nTanzillo, who has been dancing since the age of 3 and works in the summers for the Universal Dance Association, said her jazz class will be at an intermediate to advanced level, combining leaps and turns with a focus on personal style.\n"(Jazz) is about taking simple moves and adding your own flair to make a dance special," she said.\nInMotion performs mainly jazz, hip-hop, lyrical and tap, according to its Web site.\nFreshman Katie Johnston will teach the technique class. \n"It will be jazz technique across the floor," Johnston said. "The level of difficulty will be good for beginners and advanced dancers because I will be offering easier variations for the harder moves to fit all of the different levels."\nDancers should come prepared to move and dressed to dance. Menter recommends sneakers for the hip-hop class and jazz shoes, socks or bare feet for the other classes.\nFood and drink will not be provided.\n"Bring a water bottle and a snack," she said. "If you're staying the whole day, you might want to bring a sack lunch."\nThe event is a fundraiser to help provide costumes, props, lighting and sound for the dance team's annual spring show, "Fusion," at 7:30 p.m. April 1 at Bloomington High School North's auditorium.\nTo help raise more money for the show, InMotion members will be selling workshop apparel at the event. Blue T-shirts with the InMotion logo on the front and the words "Dance Explosion Workshop 2006" will be available for purchase.\nFor more information, contact Menter at jmenter@indiana.edu or visit InMotion's Web site www.in-motiondanceiu.com.