Sunday, June 16

New coach's hiring to be announced 'within days'

Greenspan consulted former players during search process

Larry MacIntyre, director of media relations, said he expects an announcement of the next IU men's basketball coach to be made "within days."\nHe added that the announcement could come as late as the beginning of next week. MacIntyre's expectation, though, was only based on "me reading the tea leaves in front of me," he said.\nIf a new coach is to be announced, IU President Adam Herbert and the personnel subcommittee of the Athletics Committee must approve of the selection of a coach early this week, according to the bylaws governing the committee and subcommittee member Bruce Jaffee, who is also a professor of business economics and public policy.\nJaffee confirmed that a search committee has been set up to advise Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan and that the committee has met more than once. During part of its first meeting, the search committee focused on the desired characteristics of the next coach, Jaffe said. But the committee is only advisory, he said.\n"The ultimate decision is made by the athletics director and the president," Jaffee said.\nKent Benson, member of IU's 1976 national championship team and first pick of the 1977 NBA Draft, told the Indiana Daily Student Monday he was contacted by IU for advice about selecting a coach. He also said several former players have been contacted as well.\n"I think it's smart on the athletics department's part to do that," he said. "(Former players) know the game and the type of coach that it's going to take to bring us back and bring IU basketball back into the top 10 (in the nation)."\nBenson said he was confident Greenspan would make the right choice.\n"The new coach will be qualified -- if not more than qualified -- enough for the position," he said.\nBenson said he expects Greenspan and the committee will wait until after the NCAA Final Four to announce the new coach.\nJaffee said he could not elaborate on the committee's taste in potential candidates, the committee's progress in the hiring process or any financial implications of a hire.\nThe Olympian, the Olympia, Wash., newspaper, reported that search firm Baker Parker and Associates was likely hired to assist Greenspan in finding a new coach. Jaffee wouldn't say if Baker Parker or any other firm has been contracted, but did say hiring such a firm has been discussed at committee meetings.\nIU administrators and alumni outside of the process have expressed different opinions on the validity of hiring such a search firm. Some have said a search firm might be unusual when attempting to hire a coach, while others have said that it would be quite normal. \nClarence Doninger, IU's director of athletics during the '90s, said he did not use search firms during his decade in charge, but said they can be used effectively.\nDoninger said he isn't in the loop on the coaching search, but that he has received many calls supporting and opposing potential candidates.\n"I was a big supporter of (former IU coach) Mike Davis," he said last week. "But there are other individuals who probably have other thoughts."\nJerry Baker and Dan Parker of Baker Parker were unavailable for comment. Greenspan and Herbert have denied multiple interview requests from the IDS through spokespeople. Pete Rhoda, director of athletics media relations, has refused to provide any information about potential coaching candidates.\n-- Sports Editor Matt Mattucci contributed to this report.