Go ahead and 'rent' this film

Now that "Rent," the film version of the hugely popular Broadway musical (itself based on Puccini's "La Boheme") about a group of 20-somethings starving New York artists struggling with relationships, identity and loss among the 1980s AIDS epidemic, is on DVD, viewers can finally see the film intact with the "Goodbye Love" scene. The moment intensely dissects the character of Mark and leads into the suffering of Mimi - and was inexcusably cut from the theatrical release. \nHowever, even with the scene's inclusion, the film is still not perfect. After many of the big musical numbers there are moments of awkward silences, the drug deals are probably the sketchiest ever appear on film, the sight of Roger belting "What You Own" on a mountain top is unbearable, the extras never seem sure if they're supposed to notice the crazy people randomly bursting into song and the film's second half doesn't delve as strongly into the suffering and fear AIDS causes as the play does. \nYet despite these flaws (keep in mind these criticisms come from a very devoted fan of the show), the film still preserves the deep story line and "no day but today" mantra of enjoying and making the best of life while we can. And, of course, there's the excellent music, ranging from rock to pop, and gospel to opera. For first-timers, "Seasons of Love" will be the song that's impossible to get out of your head, but continued listening will cause attachment to other gems like "One Song Glory," "Out Tonight" and "Your Eyes." Much of the play's original cast reprise their roles, and while they may have aged, they still get the job done. Newcomers Rosario Dawson and Tracie Thoms are also fine additions.\nThe two-disc DVD includes deleted scenes and commentary from director Chris Columbus and cast members. The special features also include a superb, six part documentary titled "No Day But Today," which chronicles the long creation process of the play and the life of its author Jonathan Larson. Larson died the night before the show's off-Broadway debut, not of AIDS but of a rare stomach disorder. His premature death only resonates the show's fervent themes. Friends and family discuss Larson's inspiration for the show stemming from the loss of many close friends to the disease, and how after so much hard work Larson was never able to experience the global phenomenon that "Rent" would become. It's pretty much impossible to hold back tears. \nEveryone should experience "Rent" on stage (the national tour will stop in Chicago and South Bend in April), but for those not willing to cough up $80 for tickets, the "Rent" DVD is a worthy substitute.