WIUX debuts creative writing talk show

Bloomington residents can submit work

With the recent shift from AM radio to FM, WIUX 100.3 is also debuting new programming. The student-run station now features a creative writing talk show Wednesdays at 10 p.m.\nWIUX news committee member Nicholas Peters said the show will feature on-air readings by local poets and writers and recordings of readings from local artists. \n"As a member of the news committee, I was looking for a new way to discuss the cultural aspect of the news," Peters said. "I think a lot of creative writing automatically discusses culture in its own unique way."\nPeters, a sophomore, presented his proposal for a creative writing based talk show to news director Carl Gutierrez, who quickly approved the idea. \n"I immediately thought it was a great idea for a talk show," Gutierrez said. "It has the potential to be a wonderful cultural outlet for the student body and community at large."\nBoth Peters and Gutierrez stressed that writing submissions and recordings for the show don't have to come strictly from IU students. \n"We welcome and encourage everyone in the Bloomington community to send in their work to the show," Peters said. "We're trying to create connections and expose all the great local talent here in Bloomington."\nThe show debuted Feb. 1 and featured junior audio recording major Neil Cain as its first guest. Cain, who said he has never taken a creative writing class at IU, has been writing poetry for several years and is a veteran open mic night performer. \n"Nicholas saw me perform at a show last year, and when he started this talk show, he contacted me about being a guest," Cain said. "On the show, they played performances of my poems and I did some readings as well. It's a great forum for all the talented people out there and for people who are just interested in the arts in general."\nWhile Peters said there is no set format for the show, he said he would like to feature a guest every week, along with providing news and announcements from the local poetry and creative writing scene. Ultimately, he said he hopes the show evolves into a WIUX staple for years to come.\n"I want it to be a steady thing even after I graduate," Peters said. "That will happen with interest and people wanting to listen. Hopefully the show will become a useful tool in helping other people realize their artistic goals."\nGutierrez said the fact that the show is part of the news division will help its long-term prospects.\n"As a part of the news committee, the show has become a part of the infrastructure of the station; therefore it's not as vulnerable as it could be otherwise," Gutierrez said. "I think the show engenders great quality programming at the station and really provides an outlet for creative expression."\nCreative writing submissions can be sent to the show via e-mail attachment to creativewriting@wiux.org. Calls and instant messages sent to the name "WIUXrequests" are also welcome during the show. Neil Cane's work can be heard at www.ligyro.com.