Shoes made for walking

South Africa Zimbabwe

In "In Her Shoes" Toni Collette and Cameron Diaz play two polar opposite sisters, who, despite their differences, can't help but love each other. Diaz is Maggie, an immature, attractive party girl who can't hold a job. Collette is Rose, the older responsible, but self-conscious and lonely lawyer. When Maggie hits rock bottom, Rose takes her in and tries to get her back on her feet. But after Maggie sleeps with Rose's boyfriend, Maggie gets the boot. It's not that they're unlikable; it's that they seem more like whiny teenage siblings arguing than actual adults with problems, making it hard to sympathize. \nMaggie will accept a drink from the creepiest of creepers and doesn't even think twice about getting into a car with strangers. Rose on the other hand seems more afraid of the idea of being fat than what she actually looks like. She's so obsessed with the notion of obesity (because in Hollywood Collette is huge) that she doesn't even realize men actually like her. Rose's obligatory best friend discusses the situation of Maggie and Rose's boyfriend that "neither deserves your tears." Well, neither do Rose or Maggie.\nBut as coincidence has it, Maggie discovers the two have a long lost grandmother (Shirley MacLaine) and heads down to Florida to hit her up for cash. It is here that Maggie learns there is more to her family's history than she knew. The car crash that killed the girls' mother is revealed to have been suicide. Their father, blaming their grandmother, decided to shut her out completely. It is these deeper family issues that lift the film from typical sister relationship fare and add depth to the characters. \nMaggie and Rose are forced to meet back up and reconcile their differences, and you can't help but feel for them once they do. While not as overly sentimental as most chick flicks, "In Her Shoes" contains a few obnoxious scenes in which laughter and hugs are substituted for actual substance. However, these are made up for with hilarious scenes where Rose and Maggie mock their annoying stepmother. MacLaine gives a great, subtle performance as the grandma, Ella. She explains that she doesn't display pictures of her family, because "if you put out pictures, people ask questions." That's an old lady if I've ever heard one.\nWhile special features are scarce on this DVD, they are still enjoyable. The behind the scenes featurette points out some artistic components of the film that one might not catch. The other two features are fluffy but fun, discussing the retirement community where the movie is filmed and the dog featured in the film.\n"In Her Shoes" is good, but don't necessarily rush out to see it now. Wait three years and this one will be on TNT every Sunday right after "Erin Brockovich" and "Sleepless in Seattle"