Picking the right style for a vacation in Israel

The is past winter break I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to spend 10 days in Israel. My trip was sponsored through an organization called "Birthright," a program that sends Jewish students to Israel. Caught up in my excitement, I pulled out the itinerary a week before my departure so that I could figure out what to pack. When I saw a New Year's party and nights at Israel's famous clubs scheduled, I thought the trip was right up my alley and I knew exactly what to bring.\nI packed my usual New York City party attire and some more casual wear for the daytime. Beaded shirts and high-heeled pumps were among the formal clothing I brought in my oversized suitcase; perfect for clubbing in cities like \nTel Aviv ... or so I thought. \nWhen I arrived in Jerusalem, a coordinator of the program, Shlomo Lifshitz, came to greet my tour group and introduce himself. Lifhsitz began to tell us he doesn't attend American weddings because he feels Americans get too dressed up for parties in formal gowns and tuxes while Israelis attend weddings and parties in jeans. That's when I realized I could've done without my snakeskin pumps and miniskirts.\nOur first night out on the town in Tel Aviv was a little cold and we were all tired after the 13-hour flight. I said to myself, "Forget it, I can't think about getting dressed up tonight." \nI went to the club wearing my old UGG boots, jeans and a long-sleeved thermal top. It was a great decision.\nMy tour group of Americans stuck out like sore thumbs in Israel. While everyone dressed up as they would for a night out in the States, Israelis wore sneakers, UGG-type boots, ripped jeans and big sweaters. On New Year's Eve, I traded in my high-heeled boots for a more comfortable and laid back look consisting of rainbow flip-flops and a wife-beater.\nWalking the streets of various cities in Israel, one notices the style is very eclectic. People also wear a lot of colors and mix a lot of different and unusual pieces into one unique look. I would like to attribute the eclectic style to the vast amounts of people from around the world in the country. Surprisingly, the most stylish Israeli fashion items aren't found in the designer stores but are bought in the flea markets which are set up all over Israel. \nWomen in Israel, like women at IU, carry cotton messenger bags with colorful patterns and designs. Israel is known for beautiful jewelry, especially stones. Anywhere you go, you can find rings and earrings with gorgeous gems in a wide range of prices. Antique-looking jewels with crystal detail and colors are also very popular. Beautifully embroidered scarves and shawls are worn frequently by Israeli women and can be found in most stores. \n"My favorite Israeli purchase is this brown, embroidered shawl with a gorgeous pattern that I bought off the street in Eilat," said Ali Mann, a fellow American on the Birthright trip. "I've worn it three times already. It looks so rich, and it was only five American dollars!"\nThe Israeli fashion scene is fun, casual, colorful and free. Anything goes and there are no strict rules for dress like there are in America. You can score the latest Israeli styles and still be comfortable, and more important than that ... you definitely won't put a dent in your bank account.