Davis: Critics' negativity plagues team

Resignation rumors hover over Saturday's loss

Life's troubles can be notorious for their peculiar timing.\nThe day after rumors began surfacing about IU coach Mike Davis resigning, he was mysteriously absent from pregame introductions. But before the rumor mill could spin out of control, word came that Davis was home ill. It marked the coach's first absence from the IU sidelines not related to a suspension.\nAssistant coach Donnie Marsh took over head coaching duties, and said he and Davis spoke about five times before the 70-67 loss to Iowa. Marsh said Davis started feeling sick the day before, and his condition only worsened before the noon tip-off.\n"We talked right before pregame meals early at 8:30," Marsh said. "(Davis) said, 'I don't think I'm going to make pregame. I'm just going to try to ride it out and be there at 10:30.' We talked again at 10:30, and he was actually feeling worse."\nBut as speculation continued to rise, the stomach virus wasn't the only thing making Davis sick. In an interview with ESPN's Andy Katz Saturday afternoon, Davis said the recent criticism was hurting his squad.\n"I watched (Saturday's) second half and you could see we were playing with no energy," Davis told ESPN. "It's really a shame. (The critics) have no idea what they've done to the players."\nAfter the game, instead of talking about the loss, several players found themselves answering more questions about their coach. Senior guard Marshall Strickland has traveled similar paths before, and said the speculation is nothing new to him.\n"I've already been through it worse," he said. "Sophomore year, probably, was the lowest. I'm just trying to lead the young guys. I think it probably takes a toll on the young guys the most."\nFreshman forward Ben Allen couldn't have proved Strickland more correct. After answering just two or three game-related questions, the barrage of coaching quandaries started pouring down. At one point Allen became so overwhelmed he said, "I'm just confused, man. I don't know what's going on."\nBut he also added that the entire ordeal has forced the team to bond together.\n"We've been calling a lot of meetings as a team," Allen said. "We've just got to stick together as a team because it is us who's getting the job done out there. You can't blame any of the coaches. You can't say anything about the coaches, it's us five guys."\nIn those meetings, seniors like Strickland are helping some of the younger players cope with the external distractions. This is the third year in a row that a season's end has been marred by coaching rumors.\n"It's not that tough on me," Strickland said. "I feel like I'm wearing armor. None of this stuff fazes me anymore."\nNext, the Hoosiers will march into Penn State to play the Nittany Lions who recently upset No. 6 Illinois. IU has not won a conference road game all season, and it's no secret that the negativity isn't helping matters. But the team hopes to take a page from John Lennon and Paul McCartney and prove that, even amongst turmoil, all you need is love.\n"We're staying together as a team," junior guard Errek Suhr said. "We all love each other. Coach Davis loves us. We love Coach Davis and all the assistant coaches"