2005: A Cinematic Odyssey

If you keep up with box office statistics, then chances are you're under the impression that the past year was a giant flop for the film world. No money means none of the movies must've been good. Well, that's a bunch of nonsense. \nThe fact is, unlike last year's overflowing abundance of biopics, 2005 was one damn worthwhile year for diverse filmmaking. We've seen franchises in every form: the end of "Star Wars," the fourth "Harry Potter" installment and the beginning of "The Chronicles of Narnia." We've seen Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn crash weddings to get laid while Steve Carell finally lost his virginity at 40. Johnny Depp re-envisioned Willy Wonka; Joaquin Phoenix became Johnny Cash.\nThe point is 2005 has come and gone; we've had our fill of fine popcorn entertainment and another year of great performances. Now 2006 is here and we must prepare for the year's forthcoming silver screen spectacles. And there is no better way of reflecting on the past year than with the quintessential "Top 10 List" evaluation. Say hello to 2005's best: \n10. "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" -- The sleeper gem of 2005, Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer make for what is one of the best buddy pairings in a long, long time. With a pulpy script worth killing for, a successful blending of action/comedy/film noir genres and stylistic sheen, "Bang Bang" fires on all cylinders. \n9. "2046" -- I can't think of a better director who completely knows every aspect of romance in his filmmaking style. Wong Kar-Wai has made an incredibly fulfilling pseudo-sequel to his already triumphant work, "In the Mood for Love." Some consider sequels to be a cop-out, but Kar-Wai has now crafted a pair of films that makes love seem to be the greatest enigma in the world. \n8. "Jarhead" -- Vastly underrated by those who were expecting some action-filled, blow-em-up type of flick, Sam Mendes goes three for three in his career this time by taking on the Marine lifestyle in Desert Storm Iraq. Just like "Syriana," Jarhead's political agenda is crystal clear, asking us to question what is really being done with our troops overseas.\n7. "Munich" -- Steven Spielberg completely reinvents himself with this latest triumph on his long list of successes. The film is a new vision, a new voice, a new drive to completely break away from the Frank Capra-esque mold that so much of his work is encased in, Spielberg is here to stay and that's definitely a good thing.\n6. "Syriana" -- A film as timely as the political agenda it deals with, director Stephen Gaghan's vision and script calls to our attention every possible situation in the Middle East and brings them all together in one big bang. George Clooney turns in a career-best performance which earned him a Golden Globe he rightfully deserved. Now go snag an Oscar. \n5. "Batman Begins" -- The Dark Knight was officially reborn this year with a new look, an all-star cast and a powerhouse overhaul from the likes of director Christopher Nolan and screenwriter David S. Goyer. Even all four original Batman films combined can't match up to this comic book film epic. \n4. "The New World" -- With only four films under his belt in the past 32 years, Terrence Malick's long periods of inactivity only go to show how much care he puts into his films. His latest masterpiece is a wonderful slice of period piece poetry, crafting a detail-driven early colonization of America, while capturing the purity of a land known only to its natives for so many years. \n3. "Cinderella Man" -- A longtime candidate for best film of '05, there are days when I might say this is still my favorite film of the year. Wonderfully acted by Russell Crowe and Paul Giamatti, this is easily the best boxing picture since "Raging Bull," and that is saying a lot. Ron Howard has finally landed the haymaker of his career, an emotional TKO worth repeated viewings for years to come. \n2. "King Kong" -- The world's most epic film director has not only remade his favorite film of all time into a personal achievement, but Peter Jackson has also officially solidified himself as the George Lucas of our generation. Anything handed to Jackson is sure to be given the touch of Midas himself. Wherever Jackson heads next, plenty are sure to loyally follow. \n1. "Brokeback Mountain" -- Unequaled in the visual splendor of nature and complications of the human heart, Ang Lee's film is, simply put, a masterpiece that carries no political agenda whatsoever. The only agenda it carries is to show us that great love stories can still be told and unlike so many romantically charged films, this is one to be remembered for decades to come.