University officials: IU better than Purdue

Faculty, students share why Hoosiers best Boilers

Since the days of Reconstruction, IU and Purdue University have been fierce rivals.\nEven before organized sports, since Purdue's inception in 1869, the two schools have been at each other's throats.\nIn 1865, the Indiana General Assembly approved the Morrill Act, which said that the federal government would give land to states that they could sell to fund colleges teaching agriculture and mechanics. Leaders of IU at the time were vying for more land and were willing to become an agricultural school to receive the expansion. But, then came along John Purdue, who bought more than $150,000 worth of land. Out of his charity, a university was founded in West Lafayette and the rest is history.\nThe rivalry has changed throughout the years, with its focus shifting mostly to athletics. IU and Purdue have been collaborative friends in recent years, working together with IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis and with many projects in life sciences, to name a few partnerships.\nBut with the AT&T Crimson & Gold Cup potentially on the line, the time for cooperation is over. This weekend features the annual men's basketball game, as well as match-ups against the Boilermakers in wrestling, men's and women's track and field and women's swimming. \nFor a few hours this weekend, IU will forget about its research partnership and will focus on one thing: victory.\n"Indiana is fortunate to have two outstanding research institutions in our state," said IU trustee Sue Talbot. "We are cooperative with Purdue in many areas. However, three days out of each year we meet on the field or court. One week before each of those days, the verbal mantra is: Beat Purdue, beat Purdue, beat Purdue. \n"The older I get the more strongly I repeat it."

In the spirit of the annual competition, IU administrators, students and faculty share their thoughts about why we are the superior school.

1. FORMER COACHES - "Ex-coach Bobby (Knight) vs. ex-coach (Gene) Keady: Who would win? Seriously, you've seen him handle a chair," said IU Student Association President and junior Alex Shortle.

2. NICER CAMPUS -- "Even though the School of Horticulture is located at Purdue, IU is by far the prettier campus, including landscape design and grounds care," said Terry Clapacs, IU vice president of administration and the man in charge of making our campus look beautiful. "Of course, we hire lots of Purdue grads to help us get that done."

3. KINSEY INSTITUTE -- "IU has the Kinsey Institute for Sex Research; Purdue has the Animal Manure Research Center. Need I say more?" said Michael Hamburger, professor of geology.

4. INTERNATIONAL STUDIES -- "IU is better than Purdue because we offer more countries for study abroad. We list 57; they claim 46. Go IU!" said Herb Terry, associate professor of telecommunications.

5. PARTYING -- "At Indiana, we drink boilermakers for breakfast," said Bob Kravchuk, professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs.

6. LOCATION -- "Have you been to West Lafayette?" said Susan Williams, assistant director of media relations.\n7. FUNDRAISING -- "We have Curt Simic," said Lisa Blomgren Bingham, SPEA professor. "Curt Simic is the director of the IU Foundation, and he is God's gift to fundraising. We are in the top 15 nationwide for university foundations in terms of annual fundraising. And that is not just competing with other publics. That is private universities, too. We beat Purdue's pants off."

8. CURRENT COACHES -- "Until their coach gets Gene Keady's comb-over, Purdue ain't nowhere near as cool," said Paul Rowher, graduate student and Graduate and Professional Student Organization moderator.

9. LOVE -- "My wife Lisa went to Purdue her freshman and sophomore years," said Patrick Shoulders, vice president of the board of trustees. "She transferred to IU. We graduated together and then got married. Enough said."

10. STUDENTS' APPEARANCE -- "We are just a far better-looking campus," said Dick McKaig, IU dean of students.