Putting the 'men' in 'women's basketball'

When I told some of my friends I'd be writing about the group of IU guys who practice with the women's basketball team, most responded with an excited 'I want to do that!' \nThere seems to be something encoded into a man's DNA that screams for us to want to pummel members of the opposite sex in any and every athletic contest. Let's face it, any guy with even mediocre basketball talent would jump at the chance to stuff a female NCAA Division I athlete's jumper on a regular basis, and most would think they can. But the members of the practice squad know better than to buy into that stereotype. \n"I laugh at guys that say that," said junior Beau Hobson, who has been on the women's practice team since the end of his freshman year. "There are girls on the team as good as any guys I play against at the HPER." \nAnother member of the squad, senior Brad Hauger, echoes Hobson's sentiments. \n"People think these girls aren't very good," he said. "I was a four-year player in high school and, let me tell you, these girls are the real deal."\nAbout three times a week, Hobson, Hauger and five other IU male students suit up and practice with the women's team. Showing up about a half-hour into practice after the women have finished warm-ups and stretching, they participate in drills and scrimmages and fill in for injurwed team members to even out odd-numbered matchups. And of course, there's those sweet perks -- which include free practice gear, shoes and access to team trainers.\nOn top of practicing with the women's squad, both Hauger and Hobson participate on the same intramural basketball team.\n"(The women on the team) prefer it if we're there," Hauger said. "They get to see a different look and different athleticism. When the guys step in, the girls try even harder."\nWhat about the matchup problem with 6-foot-7 women's basketball player Sarah McKay?\n"When Sarah gets out there, there isn't much we can do," Hobson said. "There's not many times we blow them out, it's usually a pretty good game."\nHobson latched onto the team after a graduating senior he had class with offered him his spot. Hauger joined the squad after his intramural team made the championship game a few years ago and played against members of the women's practice team. The women's coaches attended and after the game, the coaches and practice squad players invited him to come out for the team.\nAnyone ever make fun of you guys for playing against women?\n"Actually, everyone's pretty interested in it," Hauger said.\nAfter listening to these two talk about the women's skills, that's exactly the way it should be.