Monday, June 17

Craven's 'Red' hot thriller

Latino Studies Web Site

There are several things that make "Red Eye" worth watching, most of all is actor Cillian Murphy ("28 Days Later", "Batman Begins"). Murphy is one of the more interesting up-and-coming actors and is perfectly cast as the appropriately named Jackson Rippner. In the film, Rippner psychologically and physically terrorizes the film's protagonist, Lisa Reisert, played by Rachel McAdams ("Wedding Crashers", "The Notebook"), while attempting to use her in the implementation of a sinister plot. \nDespite playing a single-layered bad guy, the Irish (he plays an American in the film) actor's strong performance, combined with his powerful charisma and unusual, jarring appearance (he manages to be attractive, yet also ghastly), will keep you fully engaged throughout the film. Playing across from him, McAdams' pretty and personable, yet emotionally scarred and withholding character, comes across with the balance required to inspire both empathy and likability. \nIn addition to being well-cast, "Red Eye" is enjoyable because it makes an unusual and welcome use of its setting. The limited space and special circumstances that come from having a large part of the film take place on airplane are optimally taken advantage of. The in-air struggle between Rippner and Reisert is interesting because they spend much of their time seated side by side. Because of this, their struggle is rather isolated, leaving the encounter between Rippner and Reisert intensely intimate, something few thrillers that are not about family-based conflicts manage to achieve. \nEven though the film would fall into the thriller genre, rather than a slasher movie, "Red Eye" is recognizably a Wes Craven ("A Nightmare on Elm Street") film. Craven has tapped into his strengths as a director and chose a script embedded with "Scream"-like elements, specifically when it comes to Rachel McAdams' character's struggle to overcome victimization. \nThe DVD includes the typical making of featurette, gag reel and a director's commentary that might be exciting to Craven's fans. Unfortunately, despite its talented contributors and good use of space, "Red Eye" is largely formulaic, predictable and thin. The film feels a little too much like one of those generic and forgettable thrillers of the early '90s. It's not likely this is going to be anybody's favorite movie, not because there is much wrong with it, but because there are so many more creative and surprising thrillers for the picking. But for what it is, "Red Eye" is defiantly entertaining.