Congressman focuses on health care

Buyer assures Medicare qualifiers drug coverage

During a tour of Bloomington Hospital on Tuesday, U.S. Rep. Steve Buyer, R-4th District, promised to help work out kinks in Medicare's new prescription drug program. The visit came as an opportunity for Buyer to observe the new technological advancements the hospital recently implemented.\nThe hospital has commissioned the McKesson Corporation to transfer all its medical records into a streamlined electronic database by 2008. The records system will feature a patient information index enabling doctors, pharmacists and laboratory technicians to access the data simultaneously. Buyer praised the project, which will encompass the entire hospital patient base of 367,000 in nine counties. \n"We're hopeful with regard to health care that we can move in a fashion whereby we can leverage information technology that will improve patient safety," he said. "And here at Bloomington Hospital, they're one of the leaders in the country."\nBuyer does not represent Bloomington, but his 4th Congressional District does include western Monroe County and outlying areas served by the hospital. \nOn the technological forefront, the Bloomington Hospital also boasts a state-of-the-art 64-Slice CT Scanner that allows radiologists to diagnose problems quickly and accurately. Jonna Rischer, hospital spokeswoman, said it was the first hospital in the state to install the $1.8 million scanner, which records 64 pictures in a second, making it easier to diagnose multiple symptoms. \n"Technology is an enabler; it has tools that will help us to greater efficiencies," Buyer said. "We want to move this country to greater use of technology."\nBuyer announced he will have a conference call today with Michael Leavitt, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, to address constituents' concerns about the new Medicare program, often known as Medicare Part D, which took effect Jan. 1. The new entitlement benefit, passed through Congress in 2003 with Buyer's support, provides retirees and disabled persons already on Medicare access to drug coverage. \nMedicare recipients are now able to voluntarily enroll for prescription drug coverage through private insurers and HMOs at federally subsidized rates of a $37 monthly premium and a $250 annual deductible, according to a Department of Health and Human Services press release. \nA May 15 deadline looms as late enrollment carries a penalty of increased out-of-pocket costs. After the open enrollment period ends, the cost will increase an estimated 1 percent per month, according to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. \n"To sign up so many in such a short period of time is very challenging," Buyer said. "There have been many hiccups... Whether we're going to extend the deadline, I don't know yet."\nMany patients eligible for the prescription drug coverage have expressed confusion regarding the number of options available. In Indiana, 42 different plans are available, according to a press release from the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration.\n"Generally, you don't hear from the satisfied people," Buyer said. "You hear from those who have a complaint. But I believe that a lot of these complaints are legitimate."\nBuyer said he remains confident that all wrinkles with Part D will be ironed out. \nThe federal government is working hand-in-hand with the states, pharmaceutical companies and pharmacists to address the concerns of the public, he said. \n"We want to give people the greatest array of choices, We want people in Indiana to have the greatest choice with regard to programs, so they can choose a plan best-tailored to their needs and requirements," Buyer said. "I have never cared for a one-size-fits-all government plan"