'Casanova' offers charm, eye candy

Almost 30 years ago when director Federico Fellini attempted to adapt the memoirs of Giacomo Casanova, the notorious lover of thousands of women, he tried too hard. The film was surrealistically awkward and casting Donald Sutherland as the infamous libertine was an error. Lasse Hallström, the same director responsible for the romantic \n"Chocolat," makes an attempt not to tell the life story of Casanova, but only a small segment of it. Unfortunately, he didn't try hard enough. \n"Casanova" winds a lighthearted yarn about how Giacomo Casanova (an enjoyable Heath Ledger) fell madly in love with Francesca Bruni (Brit bombshell Sienna Miller), a woman equally mixed with Jane Austen and countless period philosophers. What transpires for the near 2-hour running time is one of the longest running lies and cases of stolen/mistaken identity all for the sake of trying to woo Bruni. And while Casanova pursues his interests, he is constantly on the run from the Inquisition and previous loves still vying for his attention. \nComedic yes, but "Casanova" clearly tries to reconstruct the lover by making him a romantic instead of a sexual carnivore. Practically the entire cast, save Miller who is both desirable and delightful, lacks any true depth in character. Ledger simply woos, Lena Olin plays Francesca's mother Andrea with quirky charm, Oliver Platt is a jolly lard trader and Jeremy Irons is, well, Jeremy Irons. \nYes the film seems underdeveloped, but perhaps that was the whole point. "Casanova," like many period pieces, is quite the visual spectacle yet is also wrapped in sheer frivolity. It doesn't require you to think or make demands, simply sit back, take in the sights and scenery of Venice and have a hearty chuckle which I helped myself to on more than one occasion. \nWhile "Casanova" is enjoyably lighthearted and frivolous, one cannot avoid the fact that it's aimed as an alternative for those unwilling to take on the politics of Jane Austen's "Pride & Prejudice" or, unfortunately, those far too conservative to experience Ledger's tour de force performance in "Brokeback Mountain." Both films easily outperform "Casanova."\n2005 has been a wonderful year for Heath Ledger. He was one of the few redeeming features of "Lords of Dogtown" and had the opportunity to work with the great Terry Gilliam on "The Brothers Grimm." While he is quite the charmer in "Casanova," ultimately he is more convincing as a cowboy in "Brokeback."\n"Casanova" is worth your attention if looking for carefree charm and period piece eye candy.