'Pickpocket' steals your attention

In his 50-year filmmaking career, French director Robert Bresson only made 14 films and one could say that all of his work is equal in importance. "Pickpocket," featuring a cast of non-professional actors, is easily Bresson's most accessible film and one of his finest works.\nThere is no great depth to the actual plotline of "Pickpocket." In simplest terms, it is a fictional document of one man, Michel (Martin La Salle), who lives a life of thievery. His beginnings lack confidence, getting caught shortly after lifting a wallet from a woman's purse at the racetrack. In a matter of time, driven by his impoverished lifestyle and ailing mother, Michel encounters a professional pickpocket. Taught the tools of the trade, Michel is able to ascend the criminal ranks -- from pilfering a wallet here and there to stealing wallets, watches, jewelry and so much more in the course of a day. Yet, in the case of so many crooks, the downfall that comes with such a lifestyle isn't far off in the distance.\n"Pickpocket," while simplistic in story structure and rather short in running length (75 minutes), has so many layers that one cannot grasp them all in just one viewing. Like the work of director Ingmar Bergman, Robert Bresson's films carry depth from the technicality in the work to the spirituality of the final product. The sequences where we find Michel committing acts of theft carry paranoia, difficulty and even celebration as they attack our senses. Bresson's use of sound is equally powerful in score and natural elements. It is filmmaking entirely rooted in realism. \nSome of the supplements are rewarding while others somewhat disappointing. To praise its successes, the video introduction by director Paul Schrader is enlightening as is the six-minute interview with Bresson from 1960. A short Q&A session from 2000 with actress Marika Green and the essay from critic Gary Indiana are also interesting. The best supplement though is a 12-minute piece with Kassagi, the sleight-of-hand artist and actor in the film, showcasing his talents on a French TV program. \nUnfortunately, the commentary track (provided by film scholar James Quandt) is at times too wooden and tries to cover too many things at once. The same goes for the 52-minute documentary "The Models of 'Pickpocket'" which interviews the main actors in 2003 and comes off as more reflective than insightful. \nDespite a couple lackluster extras, the overall release of "Pickpocket" is a case in which the film itself can in no way be equaled by the supplements. Having the film available on DVD is rewarding enough.