Sunday, June 16

Kwanzaa founder to introduce holiday at IU

Professor to sign books, give lecture at tonight's event

The inventor of a winter celebration recognized by students around the world is visiting IU to be a part of the Hoosier holidays.\nKwanzaa founder Maulana Karenga will lecture, meet with guests and sign books tonight as part of the pre-Kwanzaa celebration beginning at 6 p.m. in the Ruth N. Halls Theatre in the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center. All events are free and open to the public. \n"He has many words of wisdom to share. He is a great scholar, a great professor and a community leader," said Oyibo Afoaku, director of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.\nKarenga, a professor at California State University, Long Beach, will discuss the origin and history of Kwanzaa as well as the past and current struggles of African peoples, a topic about which he has lectured at college campuses throughout the United States and the world. \nAfoaku said she believes it is both valuable and fortunate for everyone at IU to have this opportunity to hear from the man who created such an important holiday. Although Kwanzaa is based on the first harvest celebrations of African peoples, Afoaku stresses that it's a positive and all-inclusive holiday.\n"It is a cultural celebration, not just for black people, but for all people," she said. "The seven principles are basic human values that we all share."\nKwanzaa, which Karenga founded in 1966, is based on seven essential principles of African culture, including unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, \ncooperative economics, purpose, creativity and faith. Karenga developed these principles to serve as the heart of Kwanzaa, which is traditionally celebrated from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1.\n"I am interested to know if Karenga had (in mind) the creation of a cultural celebration with which African-Americans could identify without any reservation when he created Kwanzaa," said junior Courtney Williams, president of the Black Student Union.\nWilliams points out that Kwanzaa is one of the few non-religious holidays of the season. She feels that Kwanzaa allows her to celebrate both her African and American heritages. \n"A recurring theme in discussing African-American identity and culture is that often African-American individuals do not feel wholly American because trials such as racism persist in American culture," Williams said, "but neither (do they) feel able to identify with a particular African culture."\nWilliams and Afoaku both think Kwanzaa is a holiday that can be celebrated by all people throughout the year. \nIn addition to Karenga's speech, the evening will begin with a traditional candle-lighting ceremony, with each of seven candles representing one of the Kwanzaa principles. Then attendees will be invited to sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing," known as the Black National Anthem.\nStudents will perform dances and dramatic works, and the African American Choral Ensemble will sing. The celebration will continue into the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center for a soul food dinner and reception with Karenga and his wife.