'Hoffmann' marries opera and cinema

Directing duo Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's love affair with cinema and the stage knows no bounds, especially when it came to conducting Jacques Offenbach's opera "The Tales of Hoffmann" for the screen in 1951. Captured in vivid Technicolor with a cast of epic proportions, "Hoffmann" is yet another high point in the careers of two of England's finest filmmakers. \nDreamer Hoffmann (Robert Rounseville) is surrounded by drunken bar mates as he waxes poetic about a fantasy trip across Europe in search of love as told in three acts. First there is Olympia (Moira Shearer, star of the duo's successful "The Red Shoes"), an angelic automaton who is out of Hoffmann's grasp. Then there is the seductive siren Giulietta (Ludmilla Tcherina) who wants nothing more than to steal Hoffmann's soul. Finally there is Antonia (Ann Ayars), an ill-stricken young woman controlled by her obsessive father (Mogens Wieth) and demonic doctor (Robert Helpmann). All of them end in failure, but even the worst relationship disasters can end up being the most poetically inspiring. \nTwo elements make "Hoffmann" a solid film: Offenbach's score and production designer Hein Heckroth's craftsmanship. Jacques Offenbach's music is in every way the proper combination of majestic melody and soft somberness which results in a wildly romantic opera piece. Heckroth, who earned two Oscar nominations for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration and Best Costume Design, clearly deserved them as the sets are imaginative and the costumes surely lavish and grandiose right down to the stitches. \nThe DVD transfer is crystal clear with plenty of extras to boot. Audio commentary is provided by film-music historian Bruce Eder and director/long-time Powell preserver Martin Scorsese, both having plenty to say about the film. An unexpected yet interesting interview with zombie fanatic George A. Romero finds the horror auteur singing his praises as well. There's even a short film from 1956 called "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" which Michael Powell directed while utilizing the talents of Heckroth once again. \nSpeaking of Heckroth, there is a gallery featuring plenty of his sketches and paintings used for the production of "Hoffmann." There's even another gallery of publicity photographs and production images. The original theatrical trailer and a 5-page essay from film historian Ian Christie round out the disc. Those who might not enjoy trying to decipher the dialogue contained within the operatic vocals (there is no spoken dialogue whatsoever) will be happy to know that subtitles are available. \nWhile "Hoffmann" is a somewhat heavy viewing experience (two hours of opera is a lot to handle), the end result is both musically and romantically rewarding.