Sunday, June 16

Panel to discuss women's reproductive rights

The IU Civil Liberties Union will sponsor "It's My Choice," a panel discussion of women's rights, at 8:30 p.m. today in Room 209 of the Kelley School of Business. The panel will address issues of constitutionality and privacy in relation to reproductive freedom and abortion.\nJared Sloane, executive director of the IUCLU, said he hopes this discussion will get people to understand the legal and privacy issues of abortion that affect both men and women. In turn, he hopes people will be encouraged to take action. \nIn May 2004, the Food and Drug Administration denied approval of the emergency contraceptive pill, Plan B, for over-the-counter availability. It is currently only available through prescription. The recent need to replace two Supreme Court justices has also brought the discussion of women's reproductive rights to the national spotlight.\nIn light of these events, Sloane believes now is the necessary time to give attention to the idea of a woman's right to choose. \nKelly McBride, a sexuality educator and trainer from the Bloomington Planned Parenthood, will join the panel to outline recent developments and relevant information surrounding the issue of abortion. McBride has worked with IU in the past on events at the Kinsey Institute.\n"Reproductive rights are an important topic in our culture, and knowledge brings understanding," said McBride, who sites issues of access and governmental control in addition to Supreme Court changes in making this such a timely event.\nCarol McCord, assistant dean of the Office for Women's Affairs, and Nigel Pizzini, adviser for the IU Men's Coalition, will also be part of the panel. They will primarily focus on what can be done at IU and within the Bloomington community to raise awareness about reproductive rights and make a difference.\nPizzini is the founder of "No Excuse," an organization of men committed to taking responsibility for sexual awareness and supporting initiatives against sexual assault.\nThe IUCLU, an affiliate of the Indiana Civil Liberties Union and the American Civil Liberties Union, strives to protect individuals by dealing with legal issues rather than political issues.\n"(It's) what we do best: defending the rights and liberties set out in the Constitution," Sloane said.\nThe Planned Parenthood Federation of America has a similar type of goal that is more narrowly defined. According to their mission statement, "Planned Parenthood believes in the fundamental right of each individual, throughout the world, to manage his or her fertility." \nIn addition to the panel discussion, the IUCLU will provide sandwiches and drinks.