Sunday, June 16

OK to blink

When Blink-182 broke up, every stereotypical hate-it-cause-it's-on-the-air rock listener took their shots at the pop-punk band. In 30 seconds flat they could denigrate any punk band whose lead singer didn't sound like he just finished smoking 60 French cigarettes. \nMe, on the other hand, I nearly cried. Well, not really. But I wasn't happy about it. \nThe high school dropouts produced some of the greatest summer anthems, doing so in great teenage angst style. Which was perfect for me -- I was a teen when all of their albums came out. Not to mention, these were the guys I had seen play amazing shows, always with great company. They introduced me to Mest, New Found Glory and Simple Plan before any of them made it big. They also toured with two bands I love, Green Day and No Doubt, during back-to-back summer concerts. And, if you still hate Blink-182, you must give some dap (read: props, cred) to Travis Barker on drums. He has to be the world's fastest drummer, not to mention creative and technically impeccable.\nSo, it was fitting that I land the Greatest Hits album. But, for a super-fan, the $9.99 was essentially a waste.\nIt's not that they picked bad songs. And the overall package was good. Even the bonus tracks were, well, a bonus. \nBut the tracks were simply a chronological listing of singles -- something I could have made myself with a mix CD on iTunes. Although, I suppose it was nice to hear them grow up ten years in an hour. \nIn the end, if you have their other albums, download the bonus track "Not Now." This album isn't for the converted. Like Bob Marley has Legend to start every frat guy on his exodus from oppression, blink has Greatest Hits to sell a new generation on from their rough, suburban life to Vegas just to spite their parents. \nI just hope the new fans find their way back in the Blink catalogue to Enema of the State or Take Off Your Pants and Jacket.