Sunday, June 16

IUSTV moves to Read Center

New home will accompany station's programming changes

IU Student Television is on the move.\nThe student media station will transfer into a newly built, 2,000-square-foot studio in Read Center, where the staff hopes to have all equipment and furniture in by Thanksgiving break.\n"It's a big step for the organization," said senior Anthony Leong, executive director of IUSTV.\nSince its inception in 2002, IUSTV has produced all its shows from an office building in Ashton Center. Following approval last May, IUSTV staff has been looking forward to its move to Read, primarily because its old studio will soon be demolished to make way for the new $56 million Ashton Center.\nLeong expressed excitement about the move to the Read studio, which was custom-built specifically for the needs of IUSTV. Producers say they believe the new studio will provide the opportunity for greater professionalism in their work.\n"It's just showing that IUSTV is stepping up in its place at IU," said senior Matt Horwitz, producer of the TV shows "Amplified" and "Unlocked."\nThe new studio offers enhanced fiber-optic cables and computer systems, which will allow IUSTV to begin broadcasting on Bloomington cable access television through the cable operator Insight, in addition to its current campus broadcasts on Channel 2. Eventually, the new facilities will allow both channels to offer customized programming tailored to each audience's needs.\nHorwitz said the move is a big deal because it will make things easier for all shows. Joining this year's lineup of student favorites shows like "Hoosier Date" and "Rate Your Plate" are two new shows: "Home Suite Home" and "Unlocked."\nModeling its premise after MTV's "Cribs," "Home Suite Home" takes viewers on tours of creatively decorated dorm rooms, apartments and student houses.\nSenior Alicia Martin, producer of "Home Suite Home," said she is proud that this is the first IUSTV show started by a female, and she not only wants to give ideas to people decorating their own rooms but also entertain the mostly dorm-dwelling audience.\n"The content is really important," Martin said. "But to make it cool, we really try to go crazy with the editing and the camera work and the music."\nThis season's expected eight episodes will highlight creativity and personality, and will often feature themed rooms. In the future, Martin said she hopes the show will expand to include tours of sororities, fraternities and even professors' homes.\n"Unlocked" explores possible paranormal activity on campus and in the Bloomington area. It is the first show to be developed by the Program Steering Committee, a newly formed group of producers, executives and staff members who develop program ideas and evaluate their quality.\nTeaming up with IU's Department of Folklore and the Indiana Ghost Trackers, "Unlocked" investigates the Bloomington Historical Museum in its first episode, set to premiere Monday. Horwitz said he believes this show will fill a void for people wondering about Indiana's unexplained occurrences.\n"Everybody has these ghost stories," Horwitz said. "People have had experiences around campus that no one has explained."\nStudents who want their "cribs" to be part of "Home Suite Home" can find the application at www.iustv.com and e-mail it to information@iustv.com.