Monday, June 17

Did you get the memo?

As most of us already know, "work sucks." It's because we know this that we appreciate "Office Space." It seems when it came out six years ago, "Office Space" was underviewed but word spread and by now most people recognize it for what it is. This film is hilarious -- implausible but hilarious -- because it manages to resonate with anyone who has ever worked or contemplated the possibility of ending up in an office. Peter (Ron Livingston) is frustrated with his life, especially his painfully monotonous and frustrating job at Initech Corporation. It's gotten so bad that he claims every day is the worst day of his life and he's about to snap. But he accidentally acquires a new carefree perspective as he and two coworkers seek a profitable revenge on the way of life that has made them miserable. He hooks up with a frustrated waitress played by Jennifer Aniston. Stephen Root also stars in the film in a role that really gave the whole movie that extra push towards comedic greatness.\nHaving become and remained popular, it seems it was only a matter of time before a special edition was released, something with a little more than the nearly bare-bones original edition offered. This "Special Edition with Flair!" includes an "Office Space" retrospective with Mike Judge, who wrote and directed the film and a few deleted scenes as well as DVD-rom content. It's not much, but it's somewhat entertaining. The packaging leaves something to be desired, it's not that there is anything wrong with it so much as that in my opinion "Office Space" deserved a little more than a cardboard slipcover. The first time I bought a DVD packaged with one of these I was dully impressed, but my respect for "Office Space" yearns for something a bit more creative. \nAs far as package inserts go you get the standard scene index card and a few "Office Space" themed coupons. For only a few extra bucks one can acquire an extra special edition that comes packaged in a large box containing a coffee mug and mouse pad, among other things handy for use in your own office, I suppose. This film (old or new version) deserves a spot on the shelf, as it can hold its own next to other masterful work-themed comedies, such as BBC's "The Office," and cheer up anyone after a bad day at work.