Annual event celebrates diversity of art forms

The Buskirk-Chumley Theater was home to a packed audience Saturday night as the African American Dance Company, African American Choral Ensemble and IU Soul Revue came together for their annual event, "A Potpourri of Arts." \nThe African American Arts Institute created the collaborative event in 1993 and has performed it each year since then. The AAAI created the showcase to show the wide range of African American performance produced by the Institute. \nIn past years, the "Potpourri of Arts" event has been staged at various other locations, including the IU Art Museum, the Musical Arts Center, Alumni Hall, the John Waldron Arts Center and the IU Auditorium. However, regardless of the location, the audience for the program has increased each year. \nThe show opened to the upbeat feel of the IU Soul Revue -- a group comprised of four male and five female students. A small jazz band accompanied the group, which was under the direction of Nathaneal Fareed Mahluli. They combined soulful music, emphasizing funk sensibility with choreographed dance moves, for a performance that had audience members out of their chairs and dancing. Musical numbers performed included Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" as well as songs by En Vogue and Mase. \nGroup member Charles Henderson, who also performed with the African American Choral Ensemble, said preparation for the event was intense. \n"I had practice almost every day for a month, singing and dance choreography rehearsals, but I think all the preparation was worth it," he said.\nPerforming next was the African American Dance Company, which chose to showcase Latin American music and music from the soundtrack of the film "Malcolm X." Under the direction of Iris Rosa, the group performed several dance numbers to the beat of a drummer/guitarist and a cellist. \nDuring intermission, audience member sophomore Andre White reacted to the first part of the show.\n"I feel all the groups work well together because they illustrate different facets of African American culture," White said. "I'm looking forward to the African American Choral Ensemble. Their singing is inspirational and they're always entertaining."\nDirector James Mumford began the African American Choral Ensemble's performance by acknowledging two new members of the choir, who were evacuees from New Orleans. Mumford dedicated the performance to the two students, saying he hoped healing would soon come for all those impacted by the event. The group sang as an entirety, but smaller ensembles also took the stage, showcasing the voices of many of their members with solo performances. \nBy the end of the night, audience members were given the opportunity to see three genres of performance and various displays of talent. \n"I think people benefited from the concert," Henderson said. "They came out to have a good time and see their friends share their talent. I can't wait to partake in this event again next year"