Saturday, June 15

UITS warns students of 'Thing from the Internet'

Messenger viruses plague computers

University Information Technology Services enters into the fourth week of the National Cyber Security Month campaign by asking users to beware of "The Thing from the Internet." \nThe invasion of a personal computer can happen through many outlets used by parties attempting to corrupt a computer's data. The most common forms of infection are obtained by clicking links through AOL's Instant Messenger, e-mail attachments or downloads. The dangers of viruses or adware and spyware infections are daily, coming standard with a vast number of possible entryways into your computer system. \n"There is just so much that can happen," said Merri Beth Lavagnino, deputy information technology policy officer for IU. "But you can help to make yourself aware about the possible dangers and even someday use those skills to help someone else."\nAlthough there seems to be a direct relationship between viruses and being an internet user, UITS Web information says monitoring file sharing and downloading, internet browsing, e-mail attachments and links received through AIM can significantly decrease your risk for infection.\nTips for Safe Internet Surfing\n• Think Before You Click\nAccording to UITS information, receiving viruses through instant messaging is becoming one of the most popular forms of mass corruption because users can so easily be tricked into following a friendly appearing link received from a buddy. Links saying, "Check out my pictures" or "LOL" have become common. \nTo avoid an invasion of these viruses, always remain skeptical of links received from buddies, especially if a link appears without an explanation from a friend. Always check before you click. \n• Scan Your Attachments \nE-mail attachments sent from "phishers" can often contain viruses that will not only corrupt data but tap into your system to detect your personal information. Always run your anti-virus software to ensure your safety before opening an e-mail attachment.\n• Don't Share\nFile sharing and downloading are among the top causes of a computer becoming infected with spyware and adware. The best way to escape the contamination through file sharing is not to do it, said UITS, but if you do use them, be sure to not use free software because many of these networks are infected with viruses in disguise. \n• Browsers Beware\nWhile surfing the Internet, it is important to remain within secure Web locations. Most programs such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla Firefox and Safari will notify you of entering an insecure location. While receiving this warning, be sure to think carefully if the information on the page is something you need to access or look for elsewhere.