Saturday, June 15

Campaign targets malicious software

UITS warns 'Beware of Viruses and Worms'

University Information Technology Services begins today the second week of the month-long National Cyber Security Campaign, asking students to "Beware of Viruses and Worms" on their computers. \nViruses, man-made computer programs constructed to destroy and corrupt data, are hidden within other files and programs and can slip into your computer's system through computing actions known as high-risk behavior. File sharing, music downloading, clicking on links received through instant messenger that are unverified by the sender and opening e-mail attachments from unknown senders are popular examples of high-risk behavior. Performing these actions make your computer more susceptible to contamination by viruses and worms. \nTaking certain precautions, such as avoiding high risk behavior and installing -- as well as maintaining an anti-virus software program -- will contribute to the safety of your personal computer. Merri Beth Lavagnino, deputy information technology policy officer for IU, said many computer users believe one specific action will protect them from virus threats indefinitely. \n"Installing anti-virus software is not enough," she said. "No one action will protect your computer, and that's what this campaign is about -- raising awareness." \nTo ensure the protection of your computer against viruses, following safety procedures can eliminate a high percentage of danger. \n

Tips to avoid virus attacks:

\n• Install anti-virus software. \nAnti-virus software will not only monitor your computer for virus-like activity, it will also scan and remove viruses from disks and files that come in contact with your system. The installation of an anti-virus is essential having a protected computer, but updating your anti-virus is just as crucial. Virus patterns will continue to change as they grow more complex, and to fully be identified by your anti-virus program, your computer must have an up-to-date version.\n• Make sure your software is current.\nPatches (fillers for bugs or security holes within your software) and updates will help to eliminate a virus creator's ability to slip worms through holes in your software. Avoid vulnerability by updating your programs.\n• Always have a backup.\nLarge viruses can cause critical contamination of your computer, resulting in the need to wipe out your entire computer system. Having backups of important files can ease the pain of having to destroy your data.\n• Keep your files locked.\nBefore inserting personal disks into foreign computers, lock them to ensure the protection of your personal files in case the computer is infected with a virus. An infected disk will infect your computer once inserted and opened.\n• Quarantine infected programs.\nIf an infected program is detected by your computer, isolate it immediately by disconnecting it from other programs and applications on your computer. This will eliminate the spread of the virus before you can destroy it. \nVisit www.keepITsafe.iu.edu for more information on the Web about protecting your computer system from virus and worm infections, and how to avoid high-risk behaviors.